Return to Website

SunnyDay's Message Board

Hi! Welcome to my message board! Use it to contact me or others or to post questions and share ideas and experiences. The topic should always be related to nudism / naturism. Feel free to respond to posts from others in a respectful way if you have something helpful or meaningful to contribute. Let's keep it light, lively, and most of all, fun! Thanks!

SunnyDay's Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WNBR 2017

It's that time of year again. I know the World Naked Bike Ride is not a naturist event, but there are many naturists who enjoy it as a once-a-year chance to experience nakedness in a fun, easy-going "every day" setting. I would really like to hear from those who've done it about what they like best, as well as from those who aren't keen -- why not?

Re: WNBR 2017

Dino
It's that time of year again. I know the World Naked Bike Ride is not a naturist event, but there are many naturists who enjoy it as a once-a-year chance to experience nakedness in a fun, easy-going "every day" setting. I would really like to hear from those who've done it about what they like best, as well as from those who aren't keen -- why not?

Dino,
I am one of those who has not ridden in WNBR nor even attended as a spectator, yet it would be unfair to say that I am "not keen on it".
In fact, I think that good will come from it.

I went to the web site and saw that this year, the nearest event is about a six-hour drive from home. Perhaps I could combine trips so I am not going so far for just one event, but not this year.

Would I be "exposed" to shame? Well, the rides are not close to home. Chances are minimal of losing my job, being banned from church or taunted by "friends". I am sure that some taunting will go on, but there is strength in numbers and it shouldn't be hard to brush off the snide remarks of a few cranks. On the whole, the rides would advance our cause.

I believe that most of the spectators might come there on a lark, thinking it is will be a rather bawdy street party. However, I hope that many will walk away with a different attitude about nude exercise; seeing it from then on as something liberating, fun, comfortable and perhaps bringing one's body literally and mentally closer to nature.

Living a life more in harmony with nature includes reducing our reliance on fossil fuels for transportation. One could argue that nude recreation is also a symbol of the desire for that sort of harmony.

The human body is beautiful, including those not regarded as typical fashion models and certainly humanity is beautiful in its ethnic diversity, too.
Celebrating the beauty of the nude human form is nothing to apologize for. WNBR will help celebrate our bodies in a fun way.

I agree with Ramblinman. I'm all for it as I think it should be part of the path to normalizing the nude body. I would enjoy going to one, but I don't think my wife would consent.

There is one less than 3 hours from me, which is about perfect because I would be highly unlikely to run into anyone I know unless they are also riding. The one in Columbus is all at night, which could be fun, and I understand if the city is reluctant to allow a daytime ride. Still, it seems like there would be very few spectators and even fewer who just happened to be out and about to be exposed to the nonsexual nudity of this ride.

I'll keep it in mind, but I'm unlikely to go this year, at least.

By the way, is there any real risk of police action against participants, or is it a sanctioned event?

My daughter lives in Portland, Oregon, and doesn't participate, but generally gets to attend to support their annual event. Police there protect the riders as a rule.
There is one in St. Louis, 3 hours away, but I have not participated in any there. I wrote to the WNBR organization about the possibility of one here in Springfield, Missouri, but was told that they would likely not bother trying to approach our city council with the idea. Apparently they already had.
The idea does appeal to me, but I may be restricted to some freehiking on a friend's property about twenty minutes from home. His website is swancreeklabyrinth.org.

I have attended the Philly Naked Bike Ride (In Philadelphia, PA) several times, and it's always a thrill. The spectators cheer us on, and at the ride's end we have an open air party. Last time I rode was in 2012.

GEORGE O
I have attended the Philly Naked Bike Ride (In Philadelphia, PA) several times, and it's always a thrill. The spectators cheer us on, and at the ride's end we have an open air party. Last time I rode was in 2012.
I almost did the Philly bike ride last year, but something came up at the last minute. I don't think there's an 'open-air' party at the end anymore. But friends have told me that the past 2 years (at least) there was a big dance party in a warehouse afterwards. One of these years I'll make that ride.