Return to Website

SunnyDay's Message Board

Hi! Welcome to my message board! Use it to contact me or others or to post questions and share ideas and experiences. The topic should always be related to nudism / naturism. Feel free to respond to posts from others in a respectful way if you have something helpful or meaningful to contribute. Let's keep it light, lively, and most of all, fun! Thanks!

SunnyDay's Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
My Journey to Social Nudity by Dave

Great job with your story, Dave! Thanks for sharing!

I'd like to give you some advice regarding the following statement:

"I also haven’t had good luck with telling potential women who I was interested in dating about it."

I've learned that it's better to tell them AFTER you've started dating. I won't tell a woman about me being a naturist until I feel that there's potential for a long-term relationship. By that point, she already knows what type of person I am and it 'lessens the blow', so to speak. If you tell them before they get to know you a bit, then they might get the wrong impression of you.

Thanks again, and good luck!

Re: My Journey to Social Nudity by Dave

That was one of the best stories I've read in a long, long time. Thanks, Dave, for sharing this with everyone. I agree that as great as the clothes-free ocean experience is, it is so much more relaxing to be in a club setting where everyone is nude all the time. Even the resort I frequent most often has evolved into 24/7 nudity. There was a time that most people would dress lightly for dinner at the restaurant. The last time I went there NO one was wearing a stitch at the various tables and I felt stupid telling my young female friend (her first time)that clothing while eating was the norm. I think she was actually a little perturbed at me when we entered the dining hall and saw that everyone was nude. We didn't make that mistake again. In fact she made the comment that if we're at a nudist camp then, in her opinion, everyone should be nude ALL the time. I agreed with her.

Keep up the good work, Dave. Hopefully you will find a partner one day and then you will really relish the experience to the fullest.

Enjoyed your story, Dave. It's good to see a new "Friends Writings" essay.
There are quite a few things in your story that I can personally relate to in my own story. I'm not a young man. My kids have families of their own. My interest in being nude developed long before I actually explored it. I did begin sleeping in the nude in college (1964)and have never dressed for bed since. I lost my first wife to cancer. Unlike you, I did not experience any social nudity with my first wife. When I finally did, I regretted instantly that I had not explored it with her as I knew that she would have loved it. I still cannot imagine telling my church friends about my nudism. After my wife died I had a hard time mentioning it to any women that I dated. I experienced a lot of visits to beaches and resorts as a single man. It wasn't fun, but not terrible either.
So, we have several things in common. Thanks for sharing your story.

Philip

Congratulations Dave. I especially liked the paragraph :

"When God created Adam and Eve, they were created in God’s image, and they were naked, and He pronounced it as good. When Adam and Eve ate the forbidden fruit and hid from God in the Garden of Eden, it was not because they were ashamed of their nakedness; it was because they were ashamed of disobeying God. And when God clothed Adam and Eve, it was because they would need clothes to protect them against the elements in the fallen world that they would be living in."

Everyone remembers the first sentence but the get mixed up over the second sentence and, of course, the result (in your last sentence).

Cony

Thank you for your comments. I am glad that you enjoyed my story. The point I was trying to make regarding a clothing-optional beach vs. a nudist club or resort is that everyone would not be nude at the beach, but everyone would be nude at the nudist club or resort. It could be more comfortable for a newbie if everyone was nude. For me, I don't mind dressing for dinner. I like clothes, and I primarily enjoy outdoor nude activities, such as swimming, sunbathing, hiking, boating, etc.

I tried to interest a girl friend in nudism, but she did not take it kindly and broke up with me. The young lady I did marry came after that I did not bring up nudism withe her until we heard about it on a radio talk show. That was before the internet was available. We went to a nudist resort during National Nudist Week end when the had an open house and offered a free visit to people who had no experince in nudism. When we got to the resort she didn't want to go in, but I was able to ge her to take a tour of the resort so we went in a went on the tour. After the tour I convinced her to stay for 1/2 hour and we would leave if she was not comfortable.The tour guide had told us that most women got comfortable in a half an hour. The guild was right, My wife took off her clothes and decided we would become nudists.

Everyone has both a unique perspective and unique experiences that brings them to what is being referred to here as social nudity, which I take to mean being nude in the presence of others outside the home. Likewise, people have varying opportunities to participate in social nudity or even any outdoor nudity. We don't really have much control over those things.

My wife has experienced "topless" beaches but only overseas. But she happily would be nude on the beach, provided it was just us. But that was a few decades ago. She was also completely comfortable with my being nude at home and would be herself. It can be awfully confining, though, and anything but liberating. But the years have passed. I'm 70 now and I still get up and go to work.

When I spoke of opportunities, some people live close to a beach and some are even lucky enough to live close to a clothing-optional beach. Or a nudist club. We don't live close to any of those things, so there's no real thought of visiting any such places. I did manage to visit a club but it is much to far away to even think of making another visit. Besides, it had no real appeal to me. Frankly, I guess I wasn't looking for "social nudity."

Neither would my wife. Outside of the family and a few close friends, she is not particularly sociable and mainly for that reason, neither am I. I'm still the sort of person who might stop at a 7-11 for a snack and somehow manage to speak to everyone in the store before I left. One wonders how two people so different can stand one another. But we've only been married 38 years and who knows how it'll work out in the long run.

Maybe it's a good idea to think about what it is you're looking for. I enjoy outdoor nudity and I've hiked many miles totally nude, at least from my ankles up. It's usually a solitary activity, though. Sitting around a pool at the club isn't my thing and I would be reluctant to visit a club on my own now. I've mentioned it to my wife, though, who says it would be okay if I wanted to. But then we're back to the distance involved. The club I visited is almost twice as far as the places I've hiked nude, so it's a no-go from the beginning. I swear my wife would swim if it were snowing and would undoubtedly go to a club if she had a friend who went (but not me). So basically it isn't a matter of objection but rather one of lack of any special interest, including on my part. If there were a club with a lot of outdoor space, then it might be a different matter.

I understand that some might wish to join a club to validate their interest in being nude and I can understand the wish to be nude, too. Being nude outside is considered unacceptable most places and belonging to an organization that promotes social nudity or any nudity is an affirming action on your part.

Anyway, it's winter and it snowed last night.

NakedG
Great job with your story, Dave! Thanks for sharing!

I'd like to give you some advice regarding the following statement:

"I also haven’t had good luck with telling potential women who I was interested in dating about it."

I've learned that it's better to tell them AFTER you've started dating. I won't tell a woman about me being a naturist until I feel that there's potential for a long-term relationship. By that point, she already knows what type of person I am and it 'lessens the blow', so to speak. If you tell them before they get to know you a bit, then they might get the wrong impression of you.

Thanks again, and good luck!

NakedG,

I like what you said. Social nudity is rarely the first thing you discuss with a new friend, but once I trust someone and she can trust me, it is too big a part of who I am to sweep under the carpet.

Delaying "The Talk" until you are serious or even married is a heart-breaker. Don't wait that long! Take the risk of letting your friends know who you are.

Perhaps when you both see eye-to-eye about enjoying time in the nude, you will wonder what the big deal was.

It is like my parents once told me, "We had a big argument and later on, couldn't remember what it was we were arguing about!"

Ramblinman
NakedG,

I like what you said. Social nudity is rarely the first thing you discuss with a new friend, but once I trust someone and she can trust me, it is too big a part of who I am to sweep under the carpet.

Delaying "The Talk" until you are serious or even married is a heart-breaker. Don't wait that long!
Agreed! Naturism/nudism is too big a part of us to keep hidden, and you should not wait too long to discuss this topic with a potential partner. I only wait long enough to determine whether or not she's somebody I can see myself being with long-term. If so, then 'the talk' happens.