Return to Website

dr. robert forum

Welcome to dr. robert forum.

This Forum community is growing fast. Tell your friends.

Search:

Visit "ask dr. robert" to read replies to the latest questions.

Thanks to the help of a very kind Cajun amigo, the Dr. Robert Forum is back, better than ever, at:

www.dr-robert.com/forum.html

I look forward to seeing you all there.

Be well,
RS

robert's Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Is empathy applied rationally rather than instinctively?

So when you just pop out of no where throwing insults and imploding on me...

Was that a joke or do you really not see the blatant irony in that sentence?

Your insults just happen to be worded less obviously, and unlike what Ror666 said, your insults are completely without basis, it's often hard to tell if you are joking or not.

You should consider all people opinions, regardless of whether or not they have your respect or you like them as a person.

Hi Alik.

Alik
Could a lack of empathy be caused by a difference in how a person understands the world rather than them lacking the ability to feel it?

It could, but from the literature I have read, it’s both.

This, and many other examples of subjective empathy that i won't list, shows that emotional value may be assigned to our surroundings based upon our rational understanding and profiling of the world, rather than by instinct.

Value can and is often assigned. Yet the capacity to experience empathy is not. At least, not necessarily. It is this inborn capacity for empathy that affects our moral intuitions and shapes our value assignments.

So is it not reasonable to consider that maybe sociopaths and narcissists etc. simply have a perception of their world that does not have a use for empathy?

It is. But to reiterate, from everything I have read, it seems more likely that their worldview is what it is precisely because of their decreased capacity for instinctive empathy.

When trying to "help" a sociopath.. would it make sense to try and distribute this value amongst the people and things in their life? I say this on the basis that rational debate and education can shift a "sane" persons emotional value to different things, so perhaps it could be applied to sociopaths in the same way?

I think you are underestimating the role emotion plays in all of this. The ability to emotionally place yourself in someone else’s shoes is essential to developing a worldview that is big enough to embrace the idea that other people’s wellbeing is tied to your own. Not only that, but being able to connect emotional wellbeing to helping, serving, laughing with and loving others is also extremely helpful. It is plainly stated in variety of sources that so called adult sociopaths are not able to generate these types of emotional experiences.

Why do you ask?

Irony would be for an ASPD to look right in your eyes and say "I love you" and mean it. Cause we all know an ASPD person is just going to tell you to **** off if you attempt hostility with them. They don't respond well to negative enforcement. Hence the problems they have with authority figures. It's not rocket science... is it? Is this hard for the rest of you to grasp?

Do you understand how irony really works? Irony is when you say or do the opposite of what you are. Irony would be me submitting to another person. Thats outside my norm. Thats the opposite of my personality type. Thats irony.

However, ironic, on the other hand, can be used to associate a considence. It is ironic that you tried to insult me yet it is me who truely demeaned you in my attempt to enlighten you. My response is ironic. But is it really? Is that really a coincedense? Thats what irony is... coincidense. Not that crap Allanis Morsat (or whatever) sang about. None of that crap was ironic or irony. Just ah bunch bad luck.

Toby, stop looking for hidden messages. You sound SZ. Also blunt honesty is often misinterputed.. by stu... simpleminded people to be considered hostility?

That definition certainly doesn't completely encompass 'irony'.

[/quote]You sound SZ.[/quote]

You overuse that so much it should become your catch-phrase. Not everyone who disagrees with you is SZ. :D

Your version of "blunt honesty" isn't what the majority of people would call it.

When someone asks you if they look fat in a pair of jeans, you don't say: "Yes, You look really, really, really, fat!"

You would say: "You'd look better when you lose weight", or something to that effect.

Well that wouldn't be very blunt now would it? Why do you always try to find an "us VS him" theme? You're trying to rally a bandwagon... Pack mentality is a fallacy. For as much as you claim superiority you don't really apply it well. Also you percieve my individuality... rather often.. to mean superiority and while I concur that my decisions are optimal for myself... in no way am I trying to... convert you? An would I want you all to become fearless?! That means you'd actually stand up for yourselves and fight me. Forcing me to respect and look up to others as I have to acknowledge their equality. That sounds great!! (irony)

Also if a girl asks you if she looks fat... you always say yes in a playful manner to indicate you are joking. If that fails just taunt her. Smile and tell her you're glad she doesn't realize how sexy she really is. You like her that way. That she need not worry about her insecurities around you.

But you don't have my personality. So attempting to pull my tactics would probably fail for Toby.

Because i'm the boogieman that destroys everything in his path. Rapes women, pillages small villages and drinks blood from the skulls of my fallen enemies. Oh, and kidnaps and tortures children. And you DARE to wonder why i'm so arrogant? Your whole perception of the world is filled with fairytales and idle fantasies of love and happiness. Where the champions of justice protect you from the evil terrorists. Seriously, you disgust me, yes you, the "average person". It's like watching a child stick his hand into a bee hive and then cry when he gets stung, utter idiocracy is where we are headed.

This isn't directed at anyone specific, i just felt like ranting. Oh and to whoever flaunted his superiority by saying self-identified psychopaths is asinine. I didn't come here to declare my psychopathy nor did i flaunt it. I never even mention it untill asked, it's a personality disorder not a "I'm cooler on the internets than you" medal. I try to explain my point of view and thoughts, sorry if they show blatant disregard for humans and feelings, it's my view as they mean nothing to me.

that fails just taunt her. Smile and tell her you're glad she doesn't realize how sexy she really is. You like her that way. That she need not worry about her insecurities around you.

That, although having the best intentions, would be a lie.
If someone asks me a question, I wont lie. "White lies" I don't really like. If someone asks you if they look fat in something, let them know if you think they do nicely, otherwise they'll just later embarass themselves when they look in the mirror and look like a horse.

An would I want you all to become fearless?!

Fearless? Search megavideo for "Psychopath Fears" and you should find the video. There is a recorded video of professionaly diagnosed psychopaths and their petty phobias and they talk about their fears of life.

im does THINKING you has wiseness in words. i think too that maybe it does has something to do with that. its like when God did CREATED good and evil in all sometimes you doesnt sees the good but only bad because you does has some REASON that does blinds you from see the GOOD.

yours comparisation to WAR is very good i thinks because that DOES be true and also PROBABLY sociopath can does be in SAME SITUATION. that DOES proves that what i DOES thinking that sociopaths doesnt really EXISTS they just doesnt KNOWS they does FEELS things.