Return to Website

dr. robert forum

Welcome to dr. robert forum.

This Forum community is growing fast. Tell your friends.

Search:

Visit "ask dr. robert" to read replies to the latest questions.

Thanks to the help of a very kind Cajun amigo, the Dr. Robert Forum is back, better than ever, at:

www.dr-robert.com/forum.html

I look forward to seeing you all there.

Be well,
RS

robert's Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: I'm seeing a sociopath

Well as the poster above has pointed out in my thread I may indeed likely not be a sociopath after all and something else. I'm still confused as to what I am now, so maybe what I said isn't so helpful. haha.

Re: I'm seeing a sociopath

It is unclear to me if you are really seeing a sociopath. And if he hasn't hurt you yet, and yet you believe that he still is one, then believe that pain is inevitable.

I am trying to raise one. He asked me two years ago to be there for him. He stated that he knew that he was a sociopath but that he didn't want to go that direction. At the time, he had just been convicted of 6 felonies, and leading 4 other teenagers to a criminal background. In those two years, this young man has promised he wouldn't lie to me, and that he cared for me. In these two years I have seen him carelessly take small amounts of money, wreck my house, quit working intermittently, blame everyone for everything he does wrong, abuse and use his girlfriend, start using certain drugs, threaten suicide, misrepresent himself to others and humiliate or put me down to others, as well as endless other things.

I am one of those people who still believes that maybe a sociopath can change. And honestly, it has cost me over 10 thousand dollars already.

Do they change? No, I think that we just learn to deal with them in a controlled fashion every day and then protect ourselves with ammunition for when they turn on us.

I love my sociopathic adopted son, but he is bad news. Rather than try to justify the relationship, why not seek to understand WHY you want to be hurt. Because that is what it is. I know, I live it daily.

And I know how good that can be to spend time with.I have made him a best friend. He is charming, charismatic, fun, snd tender but only on his terms, which isn't often.