Return to Website

MoldMaker's Forum

This is a place where those involved with the moldmaking industry can come together to share information, ask questions, offer tips, etc.
(It may be necessary to refresh/reload your browser window after posting in order to see your post as well as any other new posts.)

***Posts containing negative opinions about specific products or services will be deleted if no contact information is provided.***

If you have problems using this forum, or need technical advice, please send an email to info@ctipublishing.com.

*The views and opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily the views of MoldMaking Technology magazine.*

MoldMaker's Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sintered Venting Material

Does anyone know of a self-venting material that we could use to make some detailed mold inserts? A customer is having some venting issues that they have asked us to try to resolve with this material. I know I've seen it somewhere before but don't know if it can be used with a glass-filled nylon or even if we could machine it without closing the pores. Thanks, Dave.

Re: Sintered Venting Material

My DME rep found it for me. It's called Porcerax II and is offered by International Mold Steel. Offered in 2 pore sizes, 7 & 20 micron. It is best machined by EDM to keep the pores open but can be milled and ground if stoned afterwards. Not cheap at $110.00 for a pc. 1/2x2x2 but we'll try it out anyway. DME also offers pre-made sintered vents but they won't fit where we want them.

There is a pre-hardened steel that might help. It comes in 2 grades NAK 55 and NAK 80. We've purchased this through our local supplier, TOOL STEEL SERVICE, in Los Angeles. They can give you more on the mat'l.

Brian Medina

As a 2nd follow-up; be aware that porous mat'l can clog with mold release.

Brian Medina

Hello

We are in a process of buying DMG laser cutting machine, I was in Germany last week and I must say it was impressive, the performance of this machine, but being a new technology it has its limitations and shortcomings, does anybody have any feed back or heard of this? Your info is appreciated

Regards
Ed