Return to Website

MoldMaker's Forum

This is a place where those involved with the moldmaking industry can come together to share information, ask questions, offer tips, etc.
(It may be necessary to refresh/reload your browser window after posting in order to see your post as well as any other new posts.)

***Posts containing negative opinions about specific products or services will be deleted if no contact information is provided.***

If you have problems using this forum, or need technical advice, please send an email to info@ctipublishing.com.

*The views and opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily the views of MoldMaking Technology magazine.*

MoldMaker's Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How many cycles can aluminum molds run?

I have been asked to build a 16 cav mold that will run 6 million parts per year. The customer requested an aluminum mold. Is this possible? Or should I recommend a steel mold for this volume of parts?
The molding compound will be PP or HDPE.

Re: How many cycles can aluminum molds run?

IBM did a study on aluminum molds and could run as many as a million parts. I've seen about a half million parts out of an aluminum tool with 15%gfpp.
This many parts annually needs to be steel.

Re: How many cycles can aluminum molds run?

Roger, I have 7075 or QC 7 Aluminum molds that run 375,000 cycles or more in a year. I keep spare cavities and cores. If cavities and cores wear or get damaged, I throw them into the scrap bin. If you are subgating, you will have problems. I make molds with replaceable subgate inserts. The first thing that goes is the cavities or cores that have ejector pins going through them. Gas erodes the ejector pin holes very quickly, even when the mold is vented properly. We run 350 or so molds here and 75% or more are Aluminum. I have lots of experience with Aluminum mold and you must keep then very clean. The water lines must be cleaned often and are a real problem if you have bad water. Cycle time is great and Aluminum mold cost less to make up front but are a trade off because of damage problems. If you have a first class molding operation, you can run Aluminum molds. Hope this helps.
Good Luck, L. Huckaba