Return to Website

dr. robert forum

Welcome to dr. robert forum.

This Forum community is growing fast. Tell your friends.

Search:

Visit "ask dr. robert" to read replies to the latest questions.

Thanks to the help of a very kind Cajun amigo, the Dr. Robert Forum is back, better than ever, at:

www.dr-robert.com/forum.html

I look forward to seeing you all there.

Be well,
RS

robert's Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Psychology --- Art or Science?

That cartoon is perfect, Toby. It pretty much sums up the whole thing.

~
Is psychology an art, or a science? Thanks in advance.

I just read the good doctor’s response to this question. I agreed with the thrust of it. I think it has to be both an art and a science also, especially from the individual psychologist’s/psychotherapist’s point of view. I suppose if by psychology we were talking about large groups and populations, then a scientific approach (as in, a rigorous and methodical approach with a view towards making accurate predictions and finding reproducible results, etc) might be more warranted. If, on the other hand, we are talking about the individual, a subtle and perhaps more intuitive approach might be in order. It’s also helpful to consider that the reasons for studying the psychology of large populations often differ from the therapeutic goals that motivate a mental health professional in the field. Missing these distinctions is one way people so easily confuse themselves when it comes to understanding psychological issues. It is one thing to talk about generalities that may or may not be backed by statistics, sound theory, an up to date neurological understanding and so on. It is often another thing to bridge the gap from what we learn studying general populations to the individual sitting right in front of you. Perhaps the latter is part of where the art comes into play…

I think that's right, Daniel. Statistics can apply to large populations, but cannot help in understanding an individual person. Everyone is different on the individual level. That's why it makes no real sense to generalize about psychopaths and what "they" are like. There really is no "they," only various individuals.

Thanks to Dr. R. for making this Forum available. I like it here.