Return to Website

dr. robert forum

Welcome to dr. robert forum.

This Forum community is growing fast. Tell your friends.

Search:

Visit "ask dr. robert" to read replies to the latest questions.

Thanks to the help of a very kind Cajun amigo, the Dr. Robert Forum is back, better than ever, at:

www.dr-robert.com/forum.html

I look forward to seeing you all there.

Be well,
RS

robert's Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Death Penalty?

I can condone the death penalty without taking pleasure in the death of any one criminal.

You argue without reason and employ no logic.

I stated earlier, I neither condone nor condemn the death penalty. It is what it is - a tool of human governments in place since the dawn of recorded law and probably earlier.

Innocent people are trampled on every day. Do I wish this were not the case? Yes. Emphatically so. Do I think there is any way to avoid it ever happening on a wholesale scale? No. It is the nature of life.

Had you wanted to rebut my arguments, you should rather have argued with me than petulantly insisting that I must be wrong because I don't think like you. Show me I'm wrong with reason.

For example, all you needed to argue the point was to say, as the Catholics do, that even though the Bible gave us capital punishment, we now exist in a time and place where alternatives to the death penalty are available (life in prison, for example) and so must not necessarily employ the heinous act of state death but rather are liberated by the ability to incarcerate. You might have said that the overwhelming evidence that racism, classism, and economics evident in the death penalty system have voided any government's right to use it because it cannot be charitably and equally applied to all citizens. You might even have said that since the Bible remains effectively silent on the subject in the New Testament, neither specifically condoning nor condemning the right of the state to use capital punishment, that we as Christians are free to make up our own minds on the subject - considering what we know of free will, morality, and God's love in our decisions - and that either decision is correct and so should be decided democratically within a society.

But you didn't. You couldn't, could you? That would require thinking. It's so much easier just to condemn me and stand firm in your childish beliefs. Childish not because of what they are, but childish because of your level of understanding about them. But that is faith for you - a childish belief in the absurd.

You argue without reason and employ no logic.

*Yawn*

Do I think there is any way to avoid it ever happening on a wholesale scale? No. It is the nature of life.

I can think of a very good way to prevent innocent people dying. Aboloshing the death penalty.

But you didn't. You couldn't, could you? That would require thinking. It's so much easier just to condemn me and stand firm in your childish beliefs. Childish not because of what they are, but childish because of your level of understanding about them. But that is faith for you - a childish belief in the absurd

I have quoted this without reading it because the first 6 words made me yawn.

Thou shalt not kill. You shall not murder.
However you wish to phrase it, whatever words or spelling you use, however you take its meaning is irrelevant.
The rule for all of humanity - Thou shalt not kill.
That includes "The State".

I think I prefer Whitewolf to you. He's better at it.

"Guard what God has entrusted to you. Avoid godless, foolish discussions with those who oppose you with their so-called knowledge.

Reply as you may, I will just choose to ignore you, don't waste your words.
"When an argument flares up, the wise man quenches it with silence."

I'lll chip in with some wisdom for you! "there is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt".

EDIT:Hahahahah, you have no clue whatsoever what unknown said so you reply with *yawn*.

:D
Ok, if anyone is re reading through what I wrote, replace innocent with "not that guilty - much".
:)

I rather think he missed the point where I proved the death penalty was wrong, even.

A man got a new hunting dog, and went out to shoot ducks. He shoots a duck, and it falls in a lake. His dog walks across the water, retrieves the duck, and brings it back to him. Shocked that his dog can walk on water, he shoots another duck, and again, the dog walks across the lake to retrieve it.

The next day, he asks a buddy to go hunting with him, wanting him to see what his dog can do. Shortly after arriving near the lake, he shoots a duck. The dog walks across the waters of the lake, and retrieves the duck. He shoots several more ducks, and several more times the dog walks across water to retrieve them. The buddy never says a thing about this dog.

Finally able to stand it no longer, the man asks his friend, "Don't you think there is something unusual about my dog?"

The friend replies, "Sure do. He can't swim."

Ok.... :S

Toby

"The State"? Really? That's the perfect defense for the coward who kill another human being, it wasn't me, it was "the state"

It's also the perfect defense for one who is not a coward. That is why the system works as it has and has worked that way since we had legal systems. When King Hammurabi proscribed the death penalty, it was not his hand who wielded the sword. It's basic human psychology. I understand Hexi not understanding that, but you certainly should. One cannot be judge, jury, and executioner without ill effect to one's psyche. Why? Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. It's a mental construct, yes, for the state to employ an executioner, but one whose purpose is to leave the non-criminals involved in the punishment of actual criminals psychologically unscathed by the process.

No, the fact that one needs to use "The State" as a defence, means that they're a coward.
They're the worst type of human being, one consumed by evil.

Toby
No, the fact that one needs to use "The State" as a defence, means that they're a coward.
They're the worst type of human being, one consumed by evil.

Answer the ******* question.

I ******* have! :D

Unknown -

"Do I take any pleasure in the death of the wicked? … I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign Lord."

I win! (that was a joke...)