Return to Website

dr. robert forum

Welcome to dr. robert forum.

This Forum community is growing fast. Tell your friends.

Search:

Visit "ask dr. robert" to read replies to the latest questions.

Thanks to the help of a very kind Cajun amigo, the Dr. Robert Forum is back, better than ever, at:

www.dr-robert.com/forum.html

I look forward to seeing you all there.

Be well,
RS

robert's Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: I've been wondering something recently...

Unknown - I wanted to quote a respectable source... Something he would believe and not just think it was me being 'blind'.

Trust me, I know the Bible. I know Hades refers to both Hell, and it's guardian, Satan. After studying the Bible for years, I know I haven't got it wrong.

Greek word used is Diabolos

The New Testament is written in Greek, but that's not the main place that Hades is mentioned.

Hades means both heaven and hell, both in the New and Old Testament.

I win! ;)

Toby
Unknown - I wanted to quote a respectable source... Something he would believe and not just think it was me being 'blind'.

Trust me, I know the Bible. I know Hades refers to both Hell, and it's guardian, Satan. After studying the Bible for years, I know I haven't got it wrong.

Greek word used is Diabolos

The New Testament is written in Greek, but that's not the main place that Hades is mentioned.

Hades means both heaven and hell, both in the New and Old Testament.

I win! ;)

You do know that the Old Testament was written in Hebrew and Aramaic, right? And the New in Greek. Which of course means that the word Hades does not appear in the Old Testament, at all, as in ever. All the references in the Old Testament to our English word Hell are to Sheol, which is fundamentally a different place than the Greek Hades. But what do I know? 12 years of Christian run schooling, Greek, Latin, and Hebrew classes must have been totally lost on me somehow.

Rest comfortably in your beliefs. Don't challenge them. Don't think anything through. Live your life as you see fit, and be well. But please, please don't tell my you've won anything here. There was no competition to begin with. And if you even presume to think you have "won" a theological discussion, you have completely and totally missed the entire point of the Bible. Perhaps you should read it one more time.

You do know that the Old Testament was written in Hebrew and Aramaic, right?

Yes, I know.

Which of course means that the word Hades does not appear in the Old Testament, at all, as in ever.

I did not know that, which I don't mind admitting, unlike most people on here and in life.
Thanks for teaching me something.

All the references in the Old Testament to our English word Hell are to Sheol, which is fundamentally a different place than the Greek Hades.

I am not sure you understand, the Bible isn't talking about the same underworld, just using the same Greek word to best portray whats meant.
Sheol isn't Hell, it translates to 'grave' so yes, those Greek classes were wasted.

But please, please don't tell my you've won anything here. There was no competition to begin with. And if you even presume to think you have "won"

It was a joke, even I am not that idiotic. :)

you have completely and totally missed the entire point of the Bible. Perhaps you should read it one more time.

And this is coming from someone who's never read the Bible cover-to-cover?
You know what, I would take that from a Christian or a man of God, but from you? No.

Rest comfortably in your beliefs. Don't challenge them. Don't think anything through. Live your life as you see fit, and be well.

Thank you! I will indeed.

"Avoid godless, foolish discussions with those who oppose you with their so-called knowledge.
That really speaks to me.

Why don't you go share these thoughts with all the people of the middleeast who would love to see you dead? In fact go there and push your religion on them.

That way you can annoy them with your personal beliefs and they can stone you to death for being an infidel.

Homosexuality is a mental illness or at least it used to be but people said "hey thats not right. We like the gays." so it went from mental disorder to poof.. normal behavior. No psychological explanation why it was removed as a mental illness. Which tells me it's BS.

Anytime you can just remove a mental illness. Well thats a flag.

Oh also NASA payed for the research that clearly says the solar flare/storm is coming. Look up the 1859 carrington event. 15 hours after the sun released it's discharge it hit Earth. Usually it takes 4 days for it to even reach Earth. When it hit all electronic systems instantly failed. Which was only the telegraph lines at the time.

In fact the aurora lights were so bright over some areas of Earth that gold miners started getting up and making breakfast because they thoughts it was day.

Also part of the Myans calander accurately predicts sunspots. And they believed that this would be the most devastating time the Earth has ever been hit by sunspots.

A world wide EMP that could hit 15 hours after launch and be completely unstopable and underectable by any NASA early warning system.

You can talk all you want, Toby. It's already happened before and it'll happen again.

I'm excited about it. To watch humnity fall on it's face. All you materialistic people... die. Oh what a thrilling feeling to watch this order fall. Knowing I have hooked up with two other psychopaths and the moment order ends... this world is mine. All your rules and laws will be nothing but a memory... "and once more the psychopath will rule the galaxy!" err.. Earth. :-)

Homosexuality is a mental illness or at least it used to be but people said "hey thats not right. We like the gays."

I though everyone was going to call me a homophobe, but you got what I meant. :)

Why don't you go share these thoughts with all the people of the middleeast who would love to see you dead?

They are not true Muslims, nor are they following the true Islam.
I am not going to push my religion upon anyone. Ever.
Christians and Muslims are friends, we worship, fear and love the same God.

Infidel, do you understand the meaning of that word?
In Islam, and infidel is one who does not adher to a religion, and who does not worship Allah, Christians do.

For example Atheist are infidels, as are polytheists. (Worship more than one God.)

You believe in God, but aren't a Christian so you wouldn't be an Infidel, but you wouldn't be protected by the cover of 'People of the Book'.

Toby, in Iraq alone there are Sunnis, Shiites and Kurds.

The Sunnis and Shiites don't like eachother but they both hate the Kurds. They hate the Kurds so much they got Saddam to help kill them and all of Iraq praised the Kurds demise. As in they praised Allah for allowing Saddam to kill Kurds.. just because their version of being a Muslim offends the Shiites and Sunnis.

These are all Muslims mind you. They just practice their faiths slightly different from one another. Like the Catholics and Christians have their differences. Only Muslims will kill you for it. Because they believe you are being offensive to their God.

So you're telling me that these Muslims who kill eachother over small differences... aren't going to kill you? You know how stupid you sound?! I promise you.. a Shiite would kill you in a heartbeat if you waved that Bible at him. In fact Muslims are so offended by the Bible, in the middleeast, that US troops can't walk around holding a Bible cause they might get shot.

Toby, I dare say you know nothing of the world. Europe is a small and insignificamt influence in todays world. The US is the largest English speaking nation on Earth. There are more of us than you. It's our language now... like you could do anything about that either.

If nothing else I'm just saying this. If Muslims are willing to commit genocide against eachother over the way they practice their faiths... they'll deffinately kill you.

I am aware of the sects of Islam.
But they're not Muslims! They aren't following true Islam!

In fact Muslims are so offended by the Bible

This made me actually LOL. Muslims believe in the Bible's teachings, and the teaching's of Jesus! Understand?

Toby, I dare say you know nothing of the world. Europe is a small and insignificamt influence in todays world.

Europe has the 2 biggest financial capitals of the world, the biggest collective defensive forces, and the world's largest economy. Yes, even bigger than yours.

So you're telling me that these Muslims who kill eachother over small differences... aren't going to kill you?

I don't know if you're talking about specific countries, but I have been to a rather large city in Iran called Yazd. I didn't openly wave a bible, but people knew I was Christian. And you know what?
No-one tried to assasinate me!

If Muslims are willing to commit genocide against eachother over the way they practice their faiths... they'll deffinately kill you.

Again, no, they won't. They respect us. I have met many muslims, and followers of various faiths and they all respect Christianity, including Islam.

"And do not dispute with the followers of the Book except by what is best, except those of them who act unjustly, and say: We believe in that which has been revealed to us and revealed to you, and our God and your God is One, and to Him do we submit!"

Evidence true Islam is respectful of our faith.

Oh and Catholics and Christians? Catholics are Christians...
You must mean Catholics and Protestants like me.

You are wrong wolfie, EU is one of the 4 powers in the world. Saying it's insignificant is ignorance on a fundamental level.

Why are you defending the EU?
Oh yeah... right.

The EU has the biggest economy in the world, and the biggest defensive force. Why you say it's "isignificant" is beyond me...

The EU's population is 731,000,000 while yours is 309,000,000. We could destroy you by walking at you.

Oh please. All your good for is running your mouths. Btw good job doing nothing when Georgia was invaded by Russia. Polland part 2 go!

Btw good job doing nothing when Georgia was invaded by Russia.

Yeah, well done to you too!
Go back to your cheese-burger! 1/3 of all American are too obese to serve in the armed forces!
LOL!

Toby, I'm an ex army soldier.

But fat people bother me. At least you said cheeseburger. LOL

PS you sound funny when you talk.

****! I meant burger! :(

Toby, I'm an ex army soldier.

Good for you, at least that means you aren't fat. :)

Whitewolf
Oh please. All your good for is running your mouths. Btw good job doing nothing when Georgia was invaded by Russia. Polland part 2 go!

For all your "i hate sheep" speeches, you act like one. You have no clue whatsoever what really happened there, do you? No, you don't. Georgia declared WAR on Russia, Russia responded. But hey, keep talking about stuff you know nothing about, it's funny. You and Toby would make great friends.

EDIT: For the record, i'm not defending anything nor do i "hate" the US, i just prefer intellectual honesty.

I don't talk about things I don't know about.

And actually, Whitewolf was right.

Georgia invaded the breakaway nation of South Ossetia and Russia vowed to defend it. Georgia didn't give up despite being told by cowardly Americans to surrender, the fought on and Russia and Georgia eventually signed a peace treaty.

You and Toby would make great friends.

Russians were trying to annex south ossetia via "peacekeeping" actions, Georgia wanted to take it back by force and Russian soldiers were killed, first, by Georgian troops. You can discuss politics untill you die but when you kill foreign soldiers, it's an act of war. Let's say the Turkish would invade Iraq and just started killing American troops, would that not be an act of war?

You guys can argue that all you want. Neither of your nations or your half retarded EU did a thing about it.

You are both why! Look at you. Neither of you agreeing on what happened so neither of you take action. Paralyzed by your internal bickering.. Combat ineffective.

Thank you for demonstrating my point, gentlemen.

All your base are belong to US.

So, in your wisdom, we should have started world war 3 based on lies and propaganda? Actually... answer me this, do you believe that the US could take over the world if they so choose?

EDIT: Another point. "Agreeing on what happened"? Really? What is there to agree upon? It's not really a matter of opinion who shot first now is it? The facts are quite easy to find if you bother to look for them. But i suppose that is too much effort.

The EU aren't as trigger happy as the US, and it's good thing too. We would retaliate with tremendous force if a EU member was attacked, and so would NATO.

I don't think Whitewolf quite understands, you're supposedly great with 'logic' so answer me this... Do you really think starting an even bigger war, with even more dead and still reaching the same conclusion would be good or helpful? No, that would be an American response. Take your head out of the sand, man.

The war started when Georgia made it's final attempt to retake South Ossetia, and Russia being Russia decided to go in all guns blazing in 'defence' on South Ossetia.
There have been numerous attempts by Georgia to retake South Ossetia since it's independence in 1990.

Well you argue who shot who first and ago deserves what.

I'll maintain my borders and those of my interest. You watch the borders of friendly nations fall. But Georgia was beneficial for the US. Did you see how the Asians all denied support to Russia? No one would stand with them and for the first time... Putin realized he is alone. Russia.. that nation of *******s trying to crap on the free world.

Missle defense system. More like.. anti you shoot back at us while we obliterate you... system. Why did we put some in Europe? Seems a waste to me. Rather let them get killed some so they dedicate themselves to... oh thats right.. they'd just get killed. Euros don't know how to fight. They're all just brawlers. The moment a body hits the ground they all freak out and have WW2 flashbacks and start crying how terrible war is. Pussies.

Thank God for the US. We're the dicks that fix this crapped on world. We created the Internet. It was our military. We created everything or had it created in our nations.. for the most part. Funny isn't it. We represent so little in terms of population but in culture we absorb all. And from this has come many life enhancing things. We've made the world a better place.

But you bloody wimps.. always biting our ankles. Too bad we get wiped out in 2012. Like all great societies before us.. we are unable to prevent our own downfall. Nah I'm just kidding.

Why did we put some in Europe?

You didn't. You were going to but Russia managed to change your mind. America is a bit of a pushover.

Whitewolf - We have a larger defence budget than any country. Britain alone has the 4th Largest, while it has only the 12th largest army. Anyway you would defend us as you are a part of NATO. And you are a signatory to the UK-US Mutual Defence Treaty.
Any country that attacks us has to deal with you, and vice-versa.

Euros don't know how to fight.

Don't they? I was unaware that a currency knew how to fight, being that they're coins and all... :D

The moment a body hits the ground they all freak out and have WW2 flashbacks and start crying how terrible war is. Pussies.

You have never faught a war on your own soil, even when you faugh native indians you lost! Little Bighorn was one of the most hilarious wars ever. Youre men were slaughtered. And it's called 'Little Bighorn' Lol.

Thank God for the US. We're the dicks that fix this crapped on world. We created the Internet. It was our military. We created everything or had it created in our nations..

I am ever thankfull to God I don't live America.

You think you created/invented everything? We invented the Telivison, and while I am on that subject... GIVE US BACK OUR LANGUAGE! :)
You couldn't even make your own... for shame.

I found something which I love!

"It is (Britain), without doubt, the most glorious and wonderful place in the universe, and the envy of the rest of the World. So much so that the Americans attempted to copy the British language, getting fairly close but struggling to pronounce/spell some of the more complex words correctly, such as colour, which has TWO syllables and as such is too long to be allowed into the American attempt at English without being spelt incorrectly."

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Usa
LOL

I give you gold and you give me Custard?

Toby, we make fun of custard. Both the food and the moron. And we gave those savages their just desserts didn't we.

Because we learned from the British how to be tyrants. We watched them sell opium to the Chinese and when that Chinese emperor tried to stand for his people... 2 opium wars happened and the British beat those poor Chinese into submission.

The world has learned a great deal about how dirty and ugly the British really are through history.

See how I give you gold? I use the unspoken truths everyone thinks of and I say them. You give me crap. :-(

I still think the blankets thing was excessive. French people getting hit by mustard gas is funny but I think highly of native American cultures. There is wisdom among them.. unlike the French.

At least we don't gas eachother like those Europeans. Heh... I can go on and on. Part of bring prior US Army is enjoying stories about how pathetic other militaries are and how we keep killing them. Bad for statistics. :-(

Say what you want but the entire world mocks you and laughs at you behind your back. :D

You give me crap. :-(

It's all your worthy of. America is a country that uses God as a pretense for it's wars.
I insulted American, in other words I have WMD's.
Lol

America is a good nation, and is capable of being great. But the way it's going it's destiny is the same as that of the USSR.

I use the unspoken truths everyone thinks of and I say them.

Same here, it's just I have the balls to accept my country isn't perfect, and has areas it's needs to improve upon. But you, you just deny your country isn't perfect and insult a country that's great. Tsk tsk...

I came to this site because a friend suggested it to me. He said the doctor robert website and this site are worth a look. I have read through several of the threads, and I just finished reading this entire thread.

I have only one thing to say:
Toby, you are a total idiot. I cannot believe how truly stupid you are. And the very worst of it is that you believe yourself to be clever. Your religious ideas are totally naive, poorly worded,and completely imitative. You don't have an original idea in your head. It's all hearsay. You believe the way a child believes--no skepticism at all. The rest of what you write about is even worse. You just blab and blab. I wonder why you keep it up when all of the others in this thread seem so intelligent by comparison.

Sorry, Toby, but that's just the way it is.

Can't you two forget this nationalist crap for just once? None of the **** you spout have anything to do with anything, it's just to distract you from the REAL god**** issues. Ahhhhh forget it, it's pointless. Carry on.

On second thought, you are an idiot too Whitewolf. I don't know which is worse, you or Toby. Probably Toby, but that is far from certain

I am not the only idiot?
Thank God!

I don't really care what you say to be honest, and I doubt Whitewolf does either.

Yeah, I'll just let it go. It's pointless. It really is. I can hold a better conversation with a tree. :)

One last thing... THE EU IS BETTER! :D

Toby-

You can have a better conversation with a tree because you have the brains of a tree. Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to insult trees.

Good Toby-

Why not lick Whitewolf's ass again?

Ok, fine.
I can only speak for myself, so I don't care.

Well if the world turns to zombies I'll make sure to have a katana sword.

Toby, if someone tried to hurt you.. I'd protect you. I forgive you for bring human. :-)

Toby, if someone tried to hurt you.. I'd protect you. I forgive you for bring human. :-)

LOL Thanks. :)

You play too much Xbox360. :D

Whitewolf

I have a nodachi, i luv it!

Tsurugi sword every time. :)

I don't own a sword. :-(
My parents have all my guns.
The cops took my last set of knives...

But Toby.. could you really live with yourself knowing you would be killing zombies that used to be people? Wouldn't it conflict with your morals? Imagine everybody turned back to normal a weak later butyiu slaughtered them. What would you do then?

I don't own a sword, although here it's perfectly legal with a permit.
I also don't have a gun. :(

If I knew that my act of killing zombies would save people, people that would be terrified and fighting for their lives, women and children then I would get myself a sword and kill some zombies. :)

Hehe, my nodachi is on the wall, over my bed. If some fool would break in they would be in for a surprise. :P Oh, and it's an actual sword and not an ornament. You can cut people in half with it, if the nescessity arises. I got it for my 20th birthday from my cousin.

The surprise being they break in to steal your phone and get decapitated. :D
Unlucky *******. :)

What if it was to fall on you in the night?
Yeah, they sell swords in my nearest town, you have to get a permit though. :( And I don't think my wife would like me to have a sword around my children...

I doubt it would even come to that, to be honest. Considering the size of the nodachi, no sensible person would try to attack me if i was wielding it, especially since i know HOW to wield it. They would just run away.

LOL
If someone jumped through the window with a pen-knife and they saw you with that... well that would be just hilarious. :)

Nice comeback, I didn't see that coming.

Got anymore? They're AWESOME.

Hexi
Can't you two forget this nationalist crap for just once? None of the **** you spout have anything to do with anything, it's just to distract you from the REAL god**** issues. Ahhhhh forget it, it's pointless. Carry on.

I wanted to talk about the 2012 crap. I like all the different theories. The end of the world is fun to think about. Surviving in the aftermath ect. It's interesting.

Besides Hexi is just jealous. Wait didn't Finland make Max Payne? I loved that game! B proud. Cause you know.. pride is a sin. People who suffer from national pride are often tormented by me. It's the job of a zenemy to show you the errors of your ways. :-p

Edit: or just torment you till you emotionally flip.

I enjoy reading about Armageddon, the 2012 thing is also interesting when you read about different people scientific views instead of only guesswork.
Things like the Big Crunch interest me too, because they're purely scientific, It's the supposes collape of the universe...

Toby

And this is coming from someone who's never read the Bible cover-to-cover?

LOL do you presume I have not read something I can so readily quote? You read it once when you were 17? I've read it at least 24 times all the way through - twice a year for 12 years, and several times, at least some parts of it, in the original languages. Even if I had only read it once, I'd still understand it significantly more than you do. You don't think. How many people have you converted to Christ? I lost count in the triple digits. I've actually been a missionary in my lifetime. Have you? You want to play who can be a better Christian? Really? Isn't that how the "holy wars" got started? For the love of all things holy, for the love of God, use your brain the way God intended you to. Think critically, think rationally, think reasonably, or just shut up. Eschatological conversation is meaningless in the face of such blind devotion and obliviousness.

If you want to discuss it with me for the purpose of experiencing an alternate viewpoint through a discourse in which either one of us has an opportunity to see a new thing, to learn from the other, to grow as a person, I'd be delighted. Otherwise, there's no point. You've already won. You've already learned all you can learn. Which, by the way, ironically enough, one could make a very strong case is the blasphemy referred to as the sin which can not be forgiven. To believe that you know all there is to know about God and His Word that your heart is closed to any further insight from or communication with the Spirit as you go through life is an arrogance beyond which you can not return to God. Enjoy your afterlife. Peace. Out.

I've read it at least 24 times all the way through - twice a year for 12 years.

Really? I'm impressed. I can't say I've done that, but I read the Bible almost every day, and have done for almost 12 years now.

Even if I had only read it once, I'd still understand it significantly more than you do. You don't think. How many people have you converted to Christ? I lost count in the triple digits.

I refuse to turn this into an argument best suited for an infant. I also will not argue over which one of us understand the bible more significantly, The very fact that you wish to have that kind of argument, and the fact that you talk as you do is evidence to the fact you do not understand the teaching of the Bible.

I have converted a few people, around 10. It's not much, but numbers are insignificant to God.It's still a great thing if you have converted as many people as you say.

Which, by the way, ironically enough, one could make a very strong case is the blasphemy referred to as the sin which can not be forgiven.

Incorrect. The Unforgiveable blasphemy is to blaspheme God, the Holy Spirit, which I have not done.

To believe that you know all there is to know about God and His Word that your heart is closed to any further insight from or communication with the Spirit as you go through life is an arrogance beyond which you can not return to God. Enjoy your afterlife. Peace. Out.

I know all there is to know of the Law and Guidance God has given unto us, nothing more.

And to answer your earlier question I would be delighted to continue discussion and debate with you, however only if you refrain from petty insults and baseless accusations.

or just shut up.

Things like that, they're what you'd expect from an infant. I have never told you to 'shut up', what's the point? It gets you nowhere. Even Whitewolf and Hexi don't randomly insult people.

LOL I give up. *shakes head*

Good for you!
You have acknowledge your arguments were baseless and your insults were infantile!

Does not God hate sin?

God hates the sin but not the sinner. A murderer he wouldn't hate, but the act of murder itself he would.

Should a victim of rape not hate her attacker?

No, not hate. I am not a women, nor have I experienced anything of the sort. But, she should forgive her attacker. That's what the Bible teaches.

Isn't our motivation for zealously prosecuting paedophiles, hate-based?

I don't hate Paedophiles, paedophilia is a mental disorder the same as psychopathy, to hate someone for something they cannot change is ignorant.
So I will assume you meant Child sex offenders.
Again, No. The motivation should be to protect children, and punish the offender - but not to hate him.

Yes Toby, i'm sure you would forgive me if I came and murdered your family infront of you, after raping your wife and setting your house on fire.

Paedophilia is not a mental disorder you ignorant ****. It's a sexual preference. Unless you consider homosexuality a mental disorder aswell?

You keep arguing over what the bible says, instead of discussing what the purpose of the message is. It's the same pattern i see in everything you write, ignorance and stupidity with 0 consideration to the why's and what then's. This is gonna be the last time i respond to your garbage so i'm outright flaming you. I suppose you should feel good about yourself, you got an emotional response from me.

I'm sorry, but I am going to quote the DSM.

"Pedophilia is a psychological disorder in which an adult or older adolescent experiences a sexual preference for prepubescent children"

It is a mental disorder, and yes, I do consider homosexuality a disorder. It's something that's gone wrong in there brains chemical make up. As much as they don't like to admit it, it's not just another sexual preference. I have nothing against gays, btw.

Yes Toby, i'm sure you would forgive me if I came and murdered your family infront of you, after raping your wife and setting your house on fire.

If you were to do that, forgiveness would be near to impossible, but I'd try. And oneday I would be able to look back and forgive you, regardless of how hard to do that would be.

This is gonna be the last time i respond to your garbage

Good, do that. That's exactly what I would do, just ignore the person who's causing me distress/upset/whatever.
I am not the one calling you an ignorant f**k, that's you.

Feel free to go back and find what I said you think was 'ignorant' and point it out to me.

I'm still wondering where in the Bible it says it is wrong to use your head for more than a hat rack.

Hexi
Why are they mutually exclusive?

I made them that way because it seems to me that when lying is polite, most people don't see it as lying anymore... for some reason.

Dragontongue

I made them that way because it seems to me that when lying is polite, most people don't see it as lying anymore... for some reason.

Ahh that's because most people feel guilty when they lie, so they need to make stuff up to reliev themselves of guilt. Which, ironicaaly enough, is lying to yourself.

And once again Hexi's last comment is on point. Self deception is where all deception begins, in my experience.

Why would someone pretend to like someone they hate, besides the obvious things, like conning someone for money, sex, etc? Or seeking someone's approval? Or *fill in the blank* self delusionally self centered reason?

Yeah, your right.
I don't pretend to like people I 'hate' but I am nice to people I 'hate'... Most the time... :)

Being kind or nice to someone you 'hate', does that constitute pretending to like them?

Toby
Being kind or nice to someone you 'hate', does that constitute pretending to like them?

I wonder. People are usually kind and nice to the people they like. So if someone is being kind or nice to you, the odds that they like you are certainly higher.... How could you tell whether someone was being nice to you because they liked you or if it was for some other reason?

How could you tell whether someone was being nice to you because they liked you or if it was for some other reason?

I suppose you can't, well, not really. That's how lots of people allow themselves to be conned, deceived.

Toby
I suppose you can't, well, not really. That's how lots of people allow themselves to be conned, deceived.

If you can't tell the difference, I think most people would assume that the one being nice to them liked them, since that's the most pleasant thing to believe. And if you know that the person you're being nice to is going to take it that way, then aren't you lying?

then aren't you lying?

Not really, for me.
There are people who don't like me (I know unbelievable!) but I am still nice to them, I still 'like' them.

The people who I don't really like I still treat well, but if they were to ask me straight out - "Do you like me?" I would have to say - No, not really, in the politest way possible of course. :D

Dragontongue

If you can't tell the difference, I think most people would assume that the one being nice to them liked them, since that's the most pleasant thing to believe. And if you know that the person you're being nice to is going to take it that way, then aren't you lying?

The nearest I can figure, it rather depends on your intent in maintaining polite interaction.

I am typically easy-going, polite, and friendly. Well, more accurately, people would typically describe me as being that way. I treat everyone that way as a matter of conscious choice. I have no responsibility for their interpretation of my behavior, do I? Therefore, I'm not being deceptive because I am just being me.

On the other hand, if I were to butter someone up by behaving more friendly than is typical in order to achieve some purpose, then I'm practicing a shameful deception.

All of which doesn't answer your question, exactly. I'm not very good at situational ethics.

Love your enemies is practical advise on an esoteric level. After all, if you are kind to someone who dislikes you, he or she may change his or her mind about not liking you. If you are true to your consciously good nature, you will not have reason to feel guilty over your actions. And so on.

I have known many people, whom I could not stand, who thought I positively adored them. Is it my responsibility to correct them? Would it hurt them to know they are wrong?

By pretend to like someone, do you mean actually indicating (unequivocally) that you do like them or do you mean behaving civilly and politely. I should think that makes all the difference to your answer.

I really can't actually answer this question because if there is one thing that genuinely confuses me it's situational ethics. I tend to follow black and white rules.

Thanks for the input, everybody! You gave me a lot to think about! :)

Sorry for the late response, btw--my sister wanted her laptop back. (She's such a good sibling, letting me use it as much as she does!)