Return to Website

dr. robert forum

Welcome to dr. robert forum.

This Forum community is growing fast. Tell your friends.

Search:

Visit "ask dr. robert" to read replies to the latest questions.

Thanks to the help of a very kind Cajun amigo, the Dr. Robert Forum is back, better than ever, at:

www.dr-robert.com/forum.html

I look forward to seeing you all there.

Be well,
RS

robert's Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Psychopaths - PCL-R - What did you score?

Hexi

36. Booo! Be afraid of my evil psychopath self like a good kitten. It means nothing, honestly. It's basicly a trap for morons to get an appointment and get diagnosed with something.

Are you really saying that people like Dr. Hare or Dr. Robert are motivated to be interested in psychopathy and to write about it publicly because they are trying to trap people into seeking therapy? Sorry, but that is absurd. I am not saying that psychopaths should seek treatment. That is a matter for individual decision. I am saying that I do not believe either of those doctors is trying to "trap" anyone, and your viewpoint on this is extremely self-centered and defensive.

I guess you did not understand my earlier comment. Everyone in the world is not the same as you, Hexi, and your 36 simply means that you do have many of the traits in the list, which, according to Hare, makes you a psychopathic personality type. Others--myself, for example--will have few or none of them. I have problems of my own, but psychopathy, apparently, is not one of them.

Doug from Vermont

Are you really saying that people like Dr. Hare or Dr. Robert are motivated to be interested in psychopathy and to write about it publicly because they are trying to trap people into seeking therapy? Sorry, but that is absurd. I am not saying that psychopaths should seek treatment. That is a matter for individual decision. I am saying that I do not believe either of those doctors is trying to "trap" anyone, and your viewpoint on this is extremely self-centered and defensive.

I guess you did not understand my earlier comment. Everyone in the world is not the same as you, Hexi, and your 36 simply means that you do have many of the traits in the list, which, according to Hare, makes you a psychopathic personality type. Others--myself, for example--will have few or none of them. I have problems of my own, but psychopathy, apparently, is not one of them.

I was provoking a response from toby, now you've ruined it.

These self-tests are not to be taken seriously. Self-diagnosing requires alot more than filling out a check-list. It requires one to examine the deeper motives and states of mind when committing acts that would qualify as "psychopathic".

No, i don't personally think any psychologist would have such silly motives. Tests like that are meant for people that suspect their spouse or family member is a psychopath. I don't think any psychopath would fill out such a questionnaire seriously, anyways. I know i didn't give it any thought because most of them are behaviour i've seen in almost everyone in some form or another. Maybe you just don't expect others to behave in a manner that would deviate from your norm? Who's projecting what here?

LOL
You shoudldn't of been friendly with me, you've ruined all the fun! :)
Even Dr. Hare warns against un-proffesionals attempting to diagnose someone else, or self-diagnose themsevles.

Hexi
Self-diagnosing requires alot more than filling out a check-list. It requires one to examine the deeper motives and states of mind when committing acts that would qualify as "psychopathic".

Yes, Hexi, I totally agree with this. So far, Dr. Robert is the only psychologist I know of who avoids a check-list style definition of psychopathy, instead arguing that psychopathy should be defined by one and only one trait: an incapacity for the kind of guilt that most people feel when using or hurting others. I suppose that doesn't qualify as a "motive," but surely as a "state of mind." His version of psychopathy makes good sense to me. Much better than Hare. Much.

Doug from Vermont
Hexi
Self-diagnosing requires alot more than filling out a check-list. It requires one to examine the deeper motives and states of mind when committing acts that would qualify as "psychopathic".

Yes, Hexi, I totally agree with this. So far, Dr. Robert is the only psychologist I know of who avoids a check-list style definition of psychopathy, instead arguing that psychopathy should be defined by one and only one trait: an incapacity for the kind of guilt that most people feel when using or hurting others. I suppose that doesn't qualify as a "motive," but surely as a "state of mind." His version of psychopathy makes good sense to me. Much better than Hare. Much.

Dr. Long thinks all psychopaths are all evil.

Doctor Long is a fxxking idiot! What kind of doctor is afraid of his patients? What kind of doctor would tell another doctor to ban someone from his website forum because the first doctor didn't like the stuff that person was posting on his forum page?

Hexi

I don't even need to look at it to know that it's rubbish and every point is present in almost everyone to a varying degree.

Hexi--

I think you must be mistaken. I took the test and several of the points did not apply to me in the least. Others, only slightly. Perhaps your viewpoint on this is a bit egocentric.