Return to Website

dr. robert forum

Welcome to dr. robert forum.

This Forum community is growing fast. Tell your friends.

Search:

Visit "ask dr. robert" to read replies to the latest questions.

Thanks to the help of a very kind Cajun amigo, the Dr. Robert Forum is back, better than ever, at:

www.dr-robert.com/forum.html

I look forward to seeing you all there.

Be well,
RS

robert's Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: how is called this philosophy of life?

So the whole theme of your arguement is that since I do not feel remorse or pain for my actions... I am dead inside. Yesterday my friend came home at lunch and found bird feathers everywhere but no bird. He assumed his cat had caught a bird and had been playing with it. That night he found the bird cowaring in a corner. It was bleeding. The cat had been torturing this bird for it's own amusement. The cat did not appear to gave any remorse for it's actions. Is the cat dead inside?

Your arguement is invalid. Your perception is completely based on your emotional capacity. Besides how can I be dead inside if I was never alive?

Deigo is no sociopath. He's just angry at life.

Well, Whitewolf, you are not a cat, are you? You are a human being. I am assuming that you are capable of far more complex responses than cats are. Comparing a cat’s behavior to yours and then saying that this comparison proves… something or other (you didn’t say what, mind you), is if memory serves me right, an example of the is/ought fallacy. Just because nature is a certain way does not prove the so called rightness or wrongness of what humans ought to do or be.

But yes, my perception is indeed based on my emotional capacity, among other things. So is yours. And remember, I used the word akin in my previous comment when I spoke of being dead inside. Of course you are not literally dead. I was reaching for a metaphor to explain my understanding of what it might be like to feel no emotional connection to other people.

Whether Diego, or you for that matter, is or is not a sociopath is not relevant to me Whitewolf. Psychological labels that are used in online forums as a means of self identification are not important as far as I am concerned. I do not know you or Diego personally. For all I know, you are the 16 year old high school kid coming online pretending to be a sociopath while Diego is a stone cold serial killer looking to “kill” time by leaving misleading comments here. I don’t know so I don’t care. I choose to believe that you are a human being and therefore worthy of respect, compassion and love. By the way, and to say again, I do hope you did not take my metaphor about what I saw as your emotional deadness as an insult. That is not where I was coming from. If you did, I apologize.

The analogy works for me. A fallacy is a logical error. So what do you need me to clarify? Be specific.

I'm not angry... I'm just blunt. If someone could share in all your victories but none of your defeats... is that person emotionally dead?

I am wondering if this is how Dr. Robert felt when he had his lengthy conversation with Daniel Birdick… What I mean is, Whitewolf, you are speaking from a place where living with an almost complete lack of love is somehow thought of as a victory. And by love, I mean the unconditional sort. Kindness extended to your fellow man for its own sake and not as a means to some self involved dead end. Compassionate actions taken on behalf of someone else because you wish to help them ease their own suffering, especially since you know what it is like to suffer like that. Forgiving those who hurt you in the past because of the freedom you experience when you give mercy, just as you have been shown mercy. Do you have any real idea what I am talking about? From my perspective, your talk of "sharing in our victories but none of our defeats" is like… to use a really ugly analogy… like Bizarro speechifying to Superman about how much better he is as a superhero. Not that I am better than you since I don’t buy into that brand of ideology. It’s just that your statement itself could only come from a mind that is so focused upon itself that it can’t see the larger world around it.

No, I don’t need you to clarify anything Whitewolf. I don’t actually wish to debate you or prove you wrong or get into an “I’m more logical than thou” conversation. That isn’t my cup of tea. I have never been evangelical about my beliefs, even when I was in fact, an evangelical Christian. Again, my comments were meant to clarify what I was saying and not to prove something to you. So I’ll end this exchange with this: I don’t actually believe that people who call themselves psychopaths are completely unable to love or be loved in return. You are alive. If you are alive, then I choose to believe that on some level, you understand what I mean and you can love and be loved. The expression of that love will be different, that’s all. I also believe that if you think of yourself as a psychopath, chances are also good that you make giving and receiving love much more difficult than it needs to be. But that is your call. I love life here in this universe, precisely because we all get to experience life, emotionally speaking anyway, exactly as we want to. So I celebrate your privilege to create an inner emotional landscape where you and others you think of psychopaths are superior to people like me. I wish you as much happiness as you want. Although I don’t do debates, I will always do conversation and listening, should you ever want that. I don’t know how long I’ll continue to leave comments here, but for as long as I do, the offer stands.

Take care Whitewolf!

You're long winded but I understand what you mean now. Your theory has merit for Diego and maybe this Daniel person as well. Cause they had and lost love or whatever. I don't love anyone but me and I risk my life for fun. Death is of no concern to me.. I just don't want to be dying for hours.

I really just don't care. I don't love. I can blow any bridge at anytime and walk away. Btw your whole arguement was that I must love because you do...

You got emotionally involved.

Btw your whole arguement was that I must love because you do...

LOL. Oh no Whitewolf, I would never argue that you must love because I do. You say you don’t and I believe you. I don’t suggest that you be anything other than who you are. Also, I’d never argue, as in try to convince you of anything, especially when you have no interest in being convinced. I think I said, in several of my long winded comments, that the loveless, self involved mindset is just as valid as its opposite. You get to experience whatever kind of emotional life, or lack thereof, that you want. (Given certain parameters of course.) So enjoy yourself! There are consequences of one sort or the other to every action and I hope you enjoy those too!

You got emotionally involved.

True again. The emotion is amusement! It’s all good my friend!

I enjoy making people laugh. I like to watch people go through a range of emotions. It helps me understand them. Glad you approve.

Whitewolf
Psychopaths create order. We are your firefighters, police, lawyers, judges, politicians, leaders.. We make the decisions you cannot. Also we are nothing like these emotionally tortured sociopaths. They give us a bad name. Also your society created them.

Whitewolf
We are the mutants. Everyone fears and hates us cause we're not like them. We are different... better.

Whitewolf
I could walk through the valley of the shadow of death and never feel fear.

Whitewolf
Imagine if you made one of us... angry. Without fear or consequence... what would stop us.

Whitewolf
Fearless, incapable of sustaining hatred and loyal to my own.

Whitewolf
Honor is a forgotten word.

Whitewolf
I am a natural psychopath. A warrior by design. There is no doubt nature intended me to be a defender of these normal people. To protect them and their fragile feelings from the scary monsters they sheep away from. I would rather die fighting! While others flee we are the warriors that stand their ground.

I does WATCHES japanese ANIME shows too! what be your FAVORITE one? mine does be RUROUNI KENSHIN what is about samurai who does good things im BE sure you DOES probably liked it as well if you DID watched especialy them CHARACTER called sojiro who does even has EXACTLY SAME background as you does. he did get SPANKED as KID too and then he did stop cry anymore so they stops SPANKING him and they DID do that and then he did becommed true warrior.... WHAT COINCIDENCE!!!

i does always WANTS speaks with COOL anime FANS if you does wants DISCUSED moer then does ADDED me to MSN MESENGER mine address is ollila40@hotmail.com

Pull out a pair of swords at my exgirlfriends wedding? Hmm no.

well, that was a great think-shifting about your parents. just being positive and looking the bright side of things, and don't look the bad stuff. i had an unhealthy family relationship until i got out of my house, at the age of 15. 2 years i used to hate them. now i neutralize my anger towards them with: "i learned to defend myself, and to be smarter than average people because of all things that hurted me" as an old quote said "you learn the best from the hardest falls".
But this thought didn't happen until i proyected and revenged all that anger with others.

im 19 years old by the way, and im still concreting what i really want, what i need, and how will i get it. thats the reason of my post "how is called this philosophy of life". im still concreting it.

When you refer to "shut down" what do you mean? shut down your emotions to not get hurted?

My previous posts on this forum have been just to be anooying and ruffle some feathers but you brought up a nice idea, to be honest for a change. I admit that wearing a persona is tiring at times.

First, to go slightly off-topic, English is my 3rd language. I'm also not much older than you, i'm 25.

It may be that, because your vocabulary is lacking in certain areas, you have a hard time expressing yourself and that's why, to me atleast, you come across as someone seeking attention. I've been on various forums and lot of the time people go there to proclaim mental problems and personality disorders for amusement and to get attention, so i take posts like yours with a handful of salt.

I wasn't trying to be offensive or insult you, i called it as i saw it, intentions don't translate well in pure written language, i know. I don't wear a persona in a forum like this and it's gotten me bans in the past but i don't really mind.

Now, to actually respond to your post. Again you are trying to point out your sociopathic traits, to a diagnosed one at that, why? I'm not seeking a simple answer like "i'm trying to make a point", i'm asking because i'm curious why you want to point it out, in a separate paragraph no less. Do you, yourself, even know why you want to make it so very clear that you're a sociopath?

On to other things. There are VERY few people in the whole world who don't think about their own benefit, it's the norm in our western society where EVERYTHING has a price. Human life goes cheap these days, as an example. Also, everyone pretends to be something they are not, depending on the occasion just to fit in for the same reasons you posted, there is nothing "sociopathic" about that. Every sheep wants a herd because life is scary and stuff.

I'm curious about another thing though, what do you consider as happiness? You say you want to be "happy" but i'm not really sure what you mean by that. Do you mean an easy life, where you don't have to put in effort to be fed etc? Or something more profound, like being at peace with yourself?

Again, i might come across as being rude but that is not my intention. I merely want to ask you questions without trying to gratify your existence, which seems to be the norm in discussions like these.

I know this next bit has nothing to do with anything, but i felt like sharing something about myself into the discussion.

As an example of my behaviour, i've used and/or abused every single person in my life, in one way or another, wether it was for money, sex, drugs or just to hurt them emotionally for amusement. The funniest thing is, most people don't even realize it and to this day some people i've used think i'm their best friend. I find people revolting in how naive and unintelligent they are. People like that deserve whatever comes their way.

Due to shortage of time, I have only read a couple of the posts in this thread but let me just say this. Diego, if you truly believe or know that you have conscience and empathy, and you attempt to wall them off(trying to be someone else), just please be aware of the consequences of doing so. Because sooner or later, the walls will probably come tumbling down and the "you in the future" will have to deal with many of the things that you have done in the past.

And from personal experience, it is not simple because you will likely develop another personality and to revert to the "original you", will take quite some time. You will probably face identity confusion, have trouble maintaining normal relations and even a normal life as you start shifting from one personality to another. Your reactions and behaviour will probably confuse, surprise or even horrify others. And in the worst case scenario, people might think that you are completely nuts and try to admit you into an institution for a few months to a few years.

In short, it would be like having 2 or more of you inside your mind, all having their own independent thought processes and reactions towards various situations and other humans as well as yourself.

And as someone who has more than just 2 personalities, I actually am unable to have much bonds with society at all. My behaviour fluctuations and so on, mean that I'm barely functional at times.

So, if you truly value your own existence and sanity, you're better off trying not to pretend to be someone else, while you still retain awareness of "yourself"(the original Diego).

There... I hope that didn't sound too confusing!

If you want something less confusing, try this explanation(minus the astrology parts):
http://kenoath.wordpress.com/2009/02/17/secondary-personality-type/

Dee.
im aware that i just have conscience when i eat junk food, drink or smoke too much.. But thats because i have narcissistic traits. and i trained myself to feel guilt after doing this, to be in good shape. i developed a conscience in my food and exercise.

im aware that empathy its why the world is where we are, working in teams, but it didn't work for me in my society. i never have tried to be someone else, i just adapted myself to the world. its the law of species, adapt or die. if i had born in a society with good people, a good family, then i wouldn't be a sociopath, im also aware of that.

Even if i wanted to change to what you call "normal behavior person" i wouldn't find it difficult. I know the social rules, people, and i can be seen as the most empathetic person in my social group. people see me as a charismatic, empathetic, trustworthy friend. i have won with the time the love of the people. all that i do affecting them is under the radar. i'm completely in control of what i do, i would never need an institution.

i create easily bonds with people, so i'm not in your case with double personality. People search me to talk, and people like me. i think you proyected yourself in me, as i don't fit in any of the things you said.

thanks for dr robert for creating this forum to share thoughts.

You really just have to find your own meaning.

Stop using your little human brain to try and decode the whole bloody universe! It's probably impossible! You can't posses or percieve the whole objective universe (which we are nonetheless a part of)in your subjective mind!

You wont know what happens when and after you die until it actually happens, so until that bridge comes, it would be arrogant to presume what happens when the body croaks (how could anyone that hasn't experienced it say what happens or not?) so stop worrying about it, death is a just an inevitable part of life and everyone has one.

You need to find soemthing to give you meaning so that you enjoy and have a genuine aptitude for. So many people wander round in circles as they have all this enrgy and potential but it's going in the wrong direction. Find that direction, get connected to your inner self and start actualizing! Follow your heart and when and if you choose to have or not havbe kids or whatever it will be because you FEEL you want to or don't want to.

I used to feel like you, so I thought 'well I'll kill myself then if it;s all pointless and I have to suffer.' But I didn't want to kill myself, i like myself, I'm okay. So I thought -

'Right then, if I'm giving myself a choice of thinking it's all pointless and topping myself because of it or living, then I might as well do exactly what I want with my life if I was going to kill myself anyway! So if I'm not going to kill myself The opposite is life and doing or trying to do whatever I want with it, I might as well, as it is the only alternative. It is not life that becomes worthless then when you think that, it is all the preconcieved notions you have of it or have been force fed by others!! I know do exactly what pleases me as long as it doesn't upset others. I moved to Asia to teach English, huge gamble, leaving my country, moving to an anlien culture where I had no friend etc. It's been 5 yrs now and mostly great and i have made some of my best friends in the world here, though it was tough adapting for the first cpl of months... I will save up to stop working and write and act...

I learned to embrace the general objective pointlessnes! Because that means there is nothing from stopping you being your true self! I believe this was at the heart fo Jean Paul Sartre's philosophy (though worded differently.) And through it I found subjective meaning and 'pointfullness,' if you'll allow me to create the word...!

I thought

'Well if it's all pointless and I am going to die and can have no idea what happens after that, or if there is a point but humans lack the faculties to work it out and understand the whole universe (quite a daunting task no..?) that's brilliant! No need to conform and have a house and mortgage and 2.4 kids! I'll take a gamble and follow my true instincts and desires (while at the same time being realistic, ie if I turn out to be a bad writer or bad actor, then I'll need to follow a new direction.)

Find your own point!

Not to say that my life is perfect and I continue to learn to improve myself and cope etc, but I guess you get my point. cr@ppy things will still happen from time to time, there will be setbacks and rough times etc. But these will happen ANYWAY, so best to brave them (and learn to cope and deal with them better) whilst iving your life for yourself in a way that makes you happy rather than sitting around thinking about nihilism or whatever!

I can give an example of this. I gambled a lot the past 2 yrs. I blew about 35 thousand pounds which I was trying to save so I could quit full time work and write and act. I didn't get in debt, but I had to eat a lot of tuna and spaghetti lol and basically was wasting every penny of my salary other than rent and bills... First few times I blew over a grand a session I would be depressed severely for days, maybe weeks. But then I just thought - 'Ah what the heck! So I've lost that money, that just means I have to work an extra 2 yrs to make it back before I go on to do what I want. this was what it was and is a chapter fo my life now, which to be honest I enjoyed a lot and no-one but my bank balance was hurt in the proccess... so instead of thinkig I lost a huge ton of money, I just figures, I;d just cost myself some time mostly in which case I'm still young and healthy and the gambling was most likely a neccesary proccess I had to go through as part of my development, so I owned it insted of trying to disown it. Now I know I have a year left before I can start doing exactly what i want to try career wise, but feel like it's no biggie because I've let go of thoughts like 'I'm in my mid 30's and don;t have a mortgage and may never make any money from writing or acting etc...' As long as I have decent food, a couple of good friends and an okay roof over my head - you know what? I'm fine.

Milan Kundera wrote an awseome line in his novel 'Imortality'

"I THINK therefor I am is the statement of an intellectual who understands toothaches. I FEEL therefor I am is a truth much more universaly v alid and it aplies to everythig thats alive..."