Return to Website

dr. robert forum

Welcome to dr. robert forum.

This Forum community is growing fast. Tell your friends.

Search:

Visit "ask dr. robert" to read replies to the latest questions.

Thanks to the help of a very kind Cajun amigo, the Dr. Robert Forum is back, better than ever, at:

www.dr-robert.com/forum.html

I look forward to seeing you all there.

Be well,
RS

robert's Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Definitely obsessive compulsive, possibly sociopathic.

You bring up several good points (which is why I came onto this forum to begin with) and you are definitely aiding me in my goal to better understanding.

To answer your first question I want explanations simply because I do. I'm sure there are some deep seated causes for my desire to know so much about myself and others but I really couldn't elaborate much farther than saying I'm curious.I don't think it would make me happier because I'm content as I am now and it certainly wouldn't make me healthier because I am not ill, now as for more effective at living a life I love, maybe, I mean a carpenter should know what tools he has for the job, right?

As for your second point about my standards, it is true that I strive to meet the higher limits of my potential. I push myself physically and have educated myself in exercise science, anatomy, kinesology and hold a NASM certification just to make sure I am getting the most out of my workouts, I am also a life long student of the martial arts and have attained two black belts and on my way for a third and still I find that there is room for improvement. Mentally, I am naturally gifted but still try to stay stimulated and further my education. So with all the said could it be inferred that maybe I want a lot out of myself? Yes. That is also why I expect more from others but instead I constantly meet people who are easy to push and pull, perhaps because they have no motivation to push themselves.

As for your last paragraph, I am not attempting to understand myself in isolation in people (I'm here aren't I?) and I have a companion on this journey who I have much in common with and share a sort of symbiotic relationship with. I'm actually ok with being a dog chasing his tail because honestly I don't know what'd I do next if I actually caught it.

Wow Alias. I am glad that I could help you. You are helping me as well by giving me the opportunity to type these things out. I am speaking to myself as much as I am to you.

As you are obviously aware of, "Know Thyself" is a wise dictum, one that I live by as best I can. It makes sense that you'd want internal clarity. You could be very clear about what your personality traits and characteristics are without the overarching label of sociopath though, right? You could elucidate them and put your own unique interpretation on them, one that serves you and others. In my view, the personality traits, along with beliefs, drives, behavioral patterns and so on, are the tools while the label sociopath for instance would be the design or overall plan. You don't have a choice about the tools you have available to you, but you can choose how you wish to conceptualize what those traits add up to and what they mean to you and for your companion.

And may I say that your achievements are impressive! It sounds like you have been able to accomplish some amazing things. You must have tons of energy and boat loads of drive. I'd only ask what you are driving toward or away from. Where is all that drive taking you? Also, why would it matter if others are or are not meeting your expectations? Finally, to trot out an old cliché, you always find what you are looking for. Maybe it is easy to find people who are easy to push and pull precisely because you are regularly seeking that quality out in others on some level, which would say more about you and less about them. And that is fine if you say that works for you. I wouldn't find that outlook a key ingredient in the recipe for joy, but that's just me.

Alias
As for your last paragraph, I am not attempting to understand myself in isolation in people (I'm here aren't I?)

Touché. Then again, you can be surrounded by people and yet still feel isolated, especially when you are concerned about who other people should be or what they should do. I know when I do that the sense of alienation increases.

I have a companion on this journey who I have much in common with and share a sort of symbiotic relationship with.

Congratulations! I wish you and your companion much love and happiness!

I'm actually ok with being a dog chasing his tail because honestly I don't know what'd I do next if I actually caught it.

DING! DING! DING! What would you do without your search for yourself? Who would you be if you got to the end of the tail chasing and saw that you were not in fact better or worse than anyone else?

I don't think you have APD simply because of your desire to help others. I can't understand what is there to be gained by unselfish actions. Why would you care if others get stronger, unless you mean train them to be more useful to you. The way you describe your relationships also suggests that you do feel something for others but don't dwell on it, a logical reaction as there is nothing to be gained by wallowing.

A high intelligence means that you use your logic to understand things as opposed to emotions, you also realise how stupid the rules of society really are as there is no logical basis for so many things. "Social norms" are there to keep the stupid and weakminded cowards ashamed of being human. They also change based on the times so they have no basis on anything.

It's only natural to feel disgusted by weaklings, they are a waste of space, there to be used by others. Our whole society is psychopathic if you think about it. Do the corporations that run the world give a **** about workforce, if there were no consequences?

A good advice is to NEVER get diagnosed with APD. It accomplishes nothing and only labels you as a monster with no morals or conscience. (good luck feigning remorse if you ever do something that lands you in court) I don't even agree with the "disorder" part of it because a disorder suggests that there is a problem, there isn't. If you want psychological help because you think your actions hinder your life, seek it. Otherwise there is no point.

yeah. I know exactly what you're going through, Alias. You're not a sociopath.
You have OCD. Your worry that you're a socio is just another OCD worry. What it means is that you are about to come to the realization that a lot of the people you know have constantly failed to live up to your expectations. Hence, you hate them. But good people don't hate people, so you had to find a way to remove the affect from that particular conceit. (The one concerning the fact that so many people are weak sell-outs) So, instead of saying to yourself "people are ****ty, I hate them", you start worrying about whether or not you have APD (and the constant self-checking that goes along with it. I hated that part SO much.) and you say "I want to help these people".

You want to do something that makes you feel good. You claim to be intelligent. So write a book. Paint a picture, compose a song. Do something meaningful. Get into the zone. managing OCD is a really tough thing to do but realize that you are not entirely alone.