Return to Website

dr. robert forum

Welcome to dr. robert forum.

This Forum community is growing fast. Tell your friends.

Search:

Visit "ask dr. robert" to read replies to the latest questions.

Thanks to the help of a very kind Cajun amigo, the Dr. Robert Forum is back, better than ever, at:

www.dr-robert.com/forum.html

I look forward to seeing you all there.

Be well,
RS

robert's Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Question for the community

I am loyal to my own. You don't have to have a conscience to have a sense of loyalty or honor. I believe a conscience will actually make things such as loyalty more waivering in people.

There is what they want to do and there is what they should do. Often people choose themselves over what is right. Some subject themselves to guilt but refuse to stop the behavior. Honor is a forgotten word.

I believe the analogy of deer in headlights explained it best. We just don't feel fear. It doesn't exist in our world. It scares you that we can be civil without the threat of fear? Imagine if you made one of us... angry. Without fear or consequence... what would stop us. Believe it or not... I am incapable of sustaining a feeling of hatred towards others. You could make me mad today and tomorrow we could be friends again.

Life is to much like a game for me to hold onto negative feelings. I just stop caring. If you can understand that. Without a conscience to stir my emotions and.. do whatever it does that makes you people stay mad for days. I lack that.

So there you have it. Fearless, incapable of sustaining hatred and loyal to my own.

Thank you for replying, Whitewolf!

Whitewolf
I am loyal to my own. You don't have to have a conscience to have a sense of loyalty or honor.

A very good note, one I believe I can understand. But what is it that drives you to be loyal, exactly? That is what I am interested in. I suggested principle; is that it? I can imagine it being hard to explain, but I would very much appreciate it if you tried to.

Whitewolf
I am incapable of sustaining a feeling of hatred towards others.

I was unsure whether any sociopaths could feel hatred, since hatred and anger are also emotions. Thank you for confirming this, anyhow. Do you have any example of a situation where you have become angry?

Juso Crampton
Thank you for replying, Whitewolf!

Whitewolf
I am loyal to my own. You don't have to have a conscience to have a sense of loyalty or honor.

A very good note, one I believe I can understand. But what is it that drives you to be loyal, exactly? That is what I am interested in. I suggested principle; is that it? I can imagine it being hard to explain, but I would very much appreciate it if you tried to.

Whitewolf
I am incapable of sustaining a feeling of hatred towards others.

I was unsure whether any sociopaths could feel hatred, since hatred and anger are also emotions. Thank you for confirming this, anyhow. Do you have any example of a situation where you have become angry?

My friends are those associates who have displayed strong character in areas of my appeal. I count my friends on one hand but I have many associates. These friends are loyal to me... beyond society. Some associates have similar loyalty but have character flaws I cannot accept. Why fight for my friends? Because they would fight for me. Principle?

Defending women was first introduced to me as a southern value. I've watched women fight. But you can't hit your wife or kids infront of me. Pain... teaches me nothing but years of inflicting pain have taught me that the normal person is very much afraid of pain. To inflict physical pain on a woman or child in my presence is to provoke my anger.

It's interesting. Unless I precieve people as physical threats.. Their words really mean nothing to me. In theory you could insult me and all I would do is demean you in return.

Sidenote: Some little dogs provoke my instinct to harm them. I can't finger it exactly. Is it their fear? Hunters instincts?

A question for others. When you fight do you feel a mindset change? Like when you smash your first into someones face or slam them into the ground. Do you feel a sort of desire to hurt them more? As if it feels good to hurt them. It feels right. How can it feel so good if it's wrong? My guess is it's karma.

I think it's more to do with the fact that humans are the most violent beings on the planet. It's our instinct to harm other living things, and enjoy it. For me personally, i dislike violence. I never start fights but once i'm forced into a physical confrontation i have nothing holding me back from just maiming a person to death without hesitation. Luckily i've never fought anyone alone so someone has always stepped in to stop me. Apparently i lose all human facial expressions and just lose myself, which i enjoy. It's the consequences that i aknoweledge i don't like, thus i avoid fighting.

Consequences. My mother would always tell me to think of the consequences before doing something. I just learned not to get caught.

Can't deny what you are. Why try?

White Wolf
A question for others. When you fight do you feel a mindset change? Like when you smash your first into someones face or slam them into the ground. Do you feel a sort of desire to hurt them more? As if it feels good to hurt them. It feels right. How can it feel so good if it's wrong? My guess is it's karma.

Huh. I didn’t notice this question until now. But since you ask, I conceptualize feelings into a kind of hierarchy. I would have to be feeling an overwhelming sense of anger in order to be able to smash someone’s face in. Even then, I probably wouldn’t do it, but let’s just go with it since it is your example. This great anger, this rage, in my hierarchy, feels better than say depression or despair because it is energetic. It gets my blood pumping and my heart beating. It has the potential to fuel action. But contentment feels better to me than anger. Better still is peace. Better still is gratitude. Even better still is joy. Emotional experiences like peace, a grateful heart, and joy never move me to hurt others. On the contrary. In my own case, I am more comfortable in other people’s presence when I am in a state of peace or contentment or joy. The consequences of actions taken while in these states for myself and others are more likely to be beneficial than when I take action out of anger or rage. As to the question of right or wrong and how that relates to emotion, I don’t know. I wouldn’t try answering big moral questions for other people. And for me, karma is just another word for life giving you what you give it, so it is neutral in that sense. It seems to me that you increase the odds of getting your own face smashed in if you are in the habit of smashing in other people's faces.

I could walk through the valley of the shadow of death and never feel fear. I do not recognize pain as something that could hurt me. Losing to one of them... very unlikely but possible.

Thank you for all the terrific responses, everyone!

I believe I have received the answer to my question; I've another one but I believe it would be a little off-topic to introduce it here. I will create another topic for that later on.

Lastly, to answer your question, Whitewolf:

Whitewolf

I do not feel any particular mindset change, nor do I feel good about it. Of course it would depend on why exactly I would hit them in the first place. Since I do not - at least consciously - provoke any violence, I would do it out of self-defense. In such a case, I would probably feel fear. Nothing else.