Train City - Choochooauctions Message Forums​​​​​​​

Train Talk
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Hello out there!

Okay I have three early memories that stuck with me all my life and is probably responsible for my lifelong passion for trains.

My Dad's dad owned two standard passenger cars sandwiched together to live in, a diner and a coach. they were located in Hibbing Minnesota such that just across the alley were mainline tracks, and I would watch the big DM&IR Mallets pull 150 car loads of iron ore. Yes I could count when I was 4 back in 1945 and I'd count the cars on every train that passed through.
My Mom's Dad was a locomotive engineer on the SP&S in the 40's and 50's. his run was Wishram Wa to Pasco. I got to ride on an RS-3 a short distance with him when I was about 6 tears old in 1947.
Then also about that time I remember visiting a cousin in Vancouver Wa that had a Lionel train set up running on an oval of track that could be slid under his bed. while partially slid out I remember watching that cool red caboose disappear and reappear from under the bed. These events did it for me, I was hooked good for life.