Train City - Choochooauctions Message Forums​​​​​​​

Technical Issues
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Last minute varmits

The trolls on here still wait until the last minute to bid over you so that you cannot rebid. They would probably sniper bid their own mother.
Real overbidders place their bid at least 5 minutes before the end. We believe in fair play.
Like, do you really want this item or not.

Re: Last minute varmits

indeed, if you want it bid early

Sometimes I bid 5 minutes after the auctions start, sometimes I bid 5 minutes before it ends and sometimes I snipe.

Guess what? In all cases, sometimes I win and sometimes I lose.

Funny how that works.

All seems fair to me.

Bid your highest bid, anytime before the auction ends(5 hours, 5 mins or 5 seconds), and forget about it. If you lose to a snipe in the last second, and it seems unfair because you didn't get a chance to outbid, then guess what? You didnt really bid your highest bid, did you?

Most online auctions operate this way, because it makes the most sense.

Just my humble opinion.

I probably shouldn't stick my hat in this one, but actually I can see everyone's point.

Sniping has been frowned upon by many since Ebay first started. Lots of people don't like it.

We have a five minute rule that we used to use on choochoo. It extends auctions five minutes longer with any bid given within the last 5 minutes.

The problem with that as pointed out by a choochoo member is that then you would have to be present at the end of any auction you were bidding on which is very time consuming. So I have decided not to go with that one.

There are some good points made though about proxy bidding. If you know what the highest amount you are willing to pay for an item and proxy that amount you really don't have to worry about snipers. This in a way can thwart sniping as well if you really bid your highest amount. Unless they were using a program snipers usually only get one chance to bid at the last second.

I highly recommend proxy bidding!!

For those of you who might not exactly trust our system I can tell you that there is no way for us to see proxy bids. Not even in our administration program can we see proxy bids. We only see the current high bid just like you.

Now let me clarify that.. If we actually open up the database and look we can find proxy bids. The last time we got into the database to decide a dispute after an auction had ended, we managed to shut down choochooauctions.com for 48 hours as we cooked the database. We will never do that again so rest assured your proxy bids are secret to you only.

If you would bid high enough for an item you really wanted, no one would beat you. The object of bidding in an auction is to win;albeit sniping, proxy etc.
Nothing is stopping you from sniping. If you do not like competition perhaps you should buy things at the store

Sounds like you answered your own question, "Like, do you really want it or not." If you really want it, than you will make your highest proxy bid, rather than putting in a lowball bid, and crying when a closer to market bid beats your bid. Stop being a cry baby and grow up.

I proxy bid. It works well for myself always. I never have buyers remorse with a proxy bid. Only time I have regretted using a proxy bid, has been when I had the opportunity to buy-it-now on Charles site, did a proxy for that amount, and lost out. Was it greed, or the desire to get something for a bargain, that beat me out?

Rod

One time I emailed the person selling and asked him if He would Please end the Auction I really wanted the item.. .. I told him I would give him by Paypal $100.00 to have it.. He politely turned me down.... I ended up buying the item for opening BID....$9.95..!