Train City - Choochooauctions Message Forums​​​​​​​

Technical Issues
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help with CP Master box please

Last week I purchased a pair of 2373's from a fellow collector. I have no doubts on the authenticity of the 2373's or the component boxes but I am puzzled about the master carton. I consulted the guide to postwar f3's and based on the information provided, a 1957 master carton should have red letters saying
"with MAGNE~TRACTION" however, the master carton I received only says "No. 2373 Canadian Pacifc Diesel Locomotive" and under that it does not say with magne~traction. It looks the same as my 2383 master carton. I am so confused. A friend of mine said it could be a forgery but the thought of that makes me sick considering the amount of cash I shelled out for it. I started to use the process of elimination and concluded that there is no way that the lettering could have faded off, or peeled off because there is no evidence of tape residue on this box. The box number 2373-40 is correct, and the box manufacturer is correct. Assuming that this is a legitimate box, could it be possible that transition could have occured carrying over into early 1958 when "with Magne~Traction" was eliminated from master cartons? Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.