This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: How To put an image background on my website

You click the File Manger link(right above the link that will take you to the Wizard).

Look for a file that is named style.css

Click the "pencil" next to that file.

Add the background code. There is already a body section, so you just add a lie that says
background-image: url(some-image.png)
to it.

Save styles.css

View your page.

But now comes the bothersome part:
Do NOT publish! Publishing wipes away any editing done outside the Wizard. So how do you edit your page? You edit and publish first, then make the above changes. Every time.

Corwings
You click the File Manger link(right above the link that will take you to the Wizard).

Look for a file that is named style.css

Click the "pencil" next to that file.

Add the background code. There is already a body section, so you just add a lie that says
background-image: url(some-image.png)
to it.

Save styles.css

View your page.

But now comes the bothersome part:
Do NOT publish! Publishing wipes away any editing done outside the Wizard. So how do you edit your page? You edit and publish first, then make the above changes. Every time.

Corwings,

I did as you said, and I found the css file, and then clicked on the pencil, and then added the code with the png img url, and then I saved it, but just as you said, publishing it wipes it right out, so I had to re-enter the code into the css file about seven times, and seven times it kept getting erasssed when I published it.

If i didn't publish it, after entering the code, then nothing happened when I went to pageview, so I'm confused about what you said about 'don't publish, publish first, and then edit"

I don't get that, because how can you publish without publishing? That doesn't make sense to me. Nothing happens, no matter what I do.

Can you rephrase that don't publish,, but publish part?

Also, once I enter the code into the css file, then there's no way to do a page view without going to website wizzard, or is there?

Here's the code I entered into the body part of the css file: background-image: url(http://thelordsplace.bravehost.com/wearybkgrnd.png)

I entered it between the {}brackets within the body part of the css file, and then clicked on the saved button, and it said the changes were saved, but then nothing happens before or after publishing it, or if i publish it or not.

Except publishing it eraasses the changes I made to the css file, just like you said, but I'm stuck there, and I just don't get your comment about don't publish, but publish first, because how can you publish something you have't done yet? Please elaborate more about that.

Browser: Vista internet explorer

I don't use bravehost, but I would expect that "publishing" is just for pages created by the wizard, so you save your pages, the wizard modifies the styles.css file, then you can go into the styles.css file and make changes. Once you click "save" on the styles.css file it will automatically upload ("publish") the styles.css file.

Once you've made the change and saved the file then go to the page on the web (http://thelordsplace.us). If you don't see any changes then it may be using a cached version of the stylesheet. Try using crtl+f5, or failing that clearing the cache (howto about half way down this page). If there still isn't any changes then post back here before you do anything else and we can take a look at it.

Hope this makes sense
-Scut

Browser: Mozilla Firefox 4.*

I did it. I figured out that you can't publish it through website wizzrd once you edited the code into the css file. I also figured out how to do the page view without going into wizzard.

My background picture is working now, so all is well, so Thanks Corwell and scutterman. It worked the way you both said.

Good to hear it's working.

Just a point of note. I've heard that the website wizard is very poorly implemented. It may be worth learning html so you don't need to use the wizard, and avoid having to change the styles.css file every time you create a page. It's a steep learning curve to start with but well worth it in the end. And there'll always be people here willing to point you in the right direction.

Browser: Mozilla Firefox 4.*

scutterman
Good to hear it's working.

Just a point of note. I've heard that the website wizard is very poorly implemented. It may be worth learning html so you don't need to use the wizard, and avoid having to change the styles.css file every time you create a page. It's a steep learning curve to start with but well worth it in the end. And there'll always be people here willing to point you in the right direction.

Ya! I figured out that I'll have to keep re-entering the background code into css everytime I makes changes to my website and publish through website wizzard, so I understand what you meant now, by doing all my other changes, then publish, and then re-enter or edit my background code into the CSS file again and again everytime i use and publish through website wizzard.

I do under html a liitle bit, so i understand html codes, but I'm no expert with it, so I'll be studying out how to use it on my website more, but it will be trial and error for a while, and Thanks again for your help. i get it now.