This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
WordPress and php >> Help please ...

Hi,

I am trying to set up a WordPress blog. I have opened a directory: blog.yourbusinesstips.com and uploaded the WordPress files. I guess that the url for my blog should be www.blog.yourbusinesstips.com but I have the following message: WordPress requires that your web server is running PHP. Your server does not have PHP installed, or PHP is turned off.

Any idea how to get this right?

Thanks for your help,

John

Browser: Mozilla Firefox

Re: WordPress and php >> Help please ...

Are you hosting with Bravenet or someone else? Whoever you're hosting with, check that your hosting plan includes PHP - usually you need to pay for hosting with PHP. There is 000webhost.com that has free php hosting, but it tends to be a bit slow.

Browser: Mozilla Firefox 3.6.*

Hi scutterman,

I am hosting with Bravenet, it's the Premium pay package @$99 /year. The package includes the following:
PHP - Software
PHP 5.2 as a FastCGI
MySQL Databases (with replication)
phpMyAdmin
PHP pear libraries

It's just that I don't really understand how to upload the WordPress package. They say to upload the whole file which I tried to do first time around, but it seemed to take forever, then I opened the folder and uploaded the files one by one, that's when I had the error message, when I tried to log into my WordPress blog.

Hope you can tell me what I am doing wrong.

Thanks,

John

Hi again Sutterman,

What I have done since my reply to your message, I have been a bit more patient and uploaded the whole WordPress folder, so that ALL the files are now there, so now, when I log on to what is suppose to be my blog, I have the following message:

"Welcome to WordPress. Before getting started, we need some information on the database. You will need to know the following items before proceeding.

1. Database name
2. Database username
3. Database password
4. Database host
5. Table prefix (if you want to run more than one WordPress in a single database)

If for any reason this automatic file creation doesn't work, don't worry. All this does is fill in the database information to a configuration file. You may also simply open wp-config-sample.php in a text editor, fill in your information, and save it as wp-config.php.

In all likelihood, these items were supplied to you by your Web Host. If you do not have this information, then you will need to contact them before you can continue."

Thanks for your help,

John

The username and password would have been supplied by Bravenet when you created the account. It'll either be in an email sent, or possibly in the control panel (I don't use bravent to host so can't give any more detail). You can use phpMyAdmin to create a database of whatever name you wish, and if the database host isn't supplies it will be localhost.

Hope this helps
-Scut

Hi again Scutt,

Thanks a lot for your help, I did figure it out in the meantime. The terms looked scary but in fact it was quite simple.

Best wishes,

John

Glad you got it working, good luck with your blog.