This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
'Hidden Field' text showing in IE

Hi

I am having error with my hidden fields in internet explorer. On firefox and safari they work great, but on internet explorer the text 'hidden field' is showing

Is thre a way to get rid of this, have not found a way.. The forms are from professional bravenet form service...

Thanks in advance
jono

Browser: Safari, Firefox, IE 7

Re: 'Hidden Field' text showing in IE

most likely something with the way you have adjusted the html code for your form

The forms are supposed to go to the e-mail address or record with your bravenet account

But you added in some extra code and changed some things so probably the coding is not matching up properly

It is not the field itself that is showing, but the label. I'm guessing IE doesn't think labels can be set to display: none;

Labels are just that - something to label the field and help the user. They aren't required and you can remove any labels you have associated with hidden fields.

Hope this helps
-Scut

Browser: Mozilla Firefox 3.6.*

Kevin
most likely something with the way you have adjusted the html code for your form

The forms are supposed to go to the e-mail address or record with your bravenet account

But you added in some extra code and changed some things so probably the coding is not matching up properly

I did change the bravent forms so that they could fit nicely into tables.. but did not add any code to it though?

Browser: safari

scutterman
It is not the field itself that is showing, but the label. I'm guessing IE doesn't think labels can be set to display: none;

Labels are just that - something to label the field and help the user. They aren't required and you can remove any labels you have associated with hidden fields.

Hope this helps
-Scut

Thanks for the info, though if i get rid of the labels will that not disturb the layout of the emails i get from the submitted forms?

Labels are used for accessibility purposes and to help users understand the form. They are not submitted with the form so it won't effect the layout of the email Bravenet sends.

Also, in "Note 2" here:
http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/H44.html#H44-description
It lists hidden fields as a type of field that the label is not used for.

-Scut

Thanks for your help, it is now sorted.. Just got rid of the label tag and replaced with input type
Works great, now just to get the site to look great on IE as does on firefox and safari.. frustrating.

Just as an aside... You don't need that massive background image. You can make a much smaller one and get it to repeat using css. Just replace
background="../Images/Untitled-33-4edit.jpg"
with
style="background: url('../Images/small-image.png') repeat: repeat;"
(This assumes you made and uploaded a smaller image called small-image.png)
It will repeat horizontally and vertically.