This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
one form shows the other doesn't

I have two short forms on the site made by the same program (CoffeeCup Web Form Builder) built years apart. The forms are in the same directory but one displays and works while the other displays only the words "Form Object" at the top of an otherwise blank screen.

http://christcovenant.info/ContactUs/contactform.html

http://christcovenant.info/ContactUs/default_form.html

I have produced many working forms here with this prog. but now cannot seem to build one that works. Any ideas what the problem could be ?

Thanks

D32

Browser: Explorer 8

Re: one form shows the other doesn't

Each form uses a slightly different approaches to displaying the form. The one that works is a simple embedded object. But the one that doesn't work uses Javascript to add the form as an embedded object. While both methods are fine to use, the second one means keeping track of more files.

When I access your first page, I get no errors. However, the second page gives two errors. One is a "Invalid XML attribute value" and the other is "SWFObject is not defined". But error messages are often misleading. I believe the first error is caused by the inability of the page to access the "swfobject.js" Javascript file. Trying to access it gives a "401 Authentication Failed Error". The error page is what is being flagged in the Invalid XML attribute value". This can mean that the file doesn't exist in the right place, is named incorrectly (upper/lower case), or the file has insufficient permissions.

You say the forms were built years apart. Was there a change/upgrade in the form builder that your using? Is there a way, in your form builder, to go back to the simple embedded object method? If not, you need to learn how to deal with the new method. There should be something in the form builder's help files.

Browser: Firefox

Re: one form shows the other doesn't

Thank you Philo. You were quite right. The forms were built years apart and the newest version of the form building program now refrences more files than it once did.

The missing swfobject.js was the primary problem. Once that was discovered the rest fell into place. I had also thought about going back to an earlier version of the program but the version I needed was no longer available. Thank you for your time and analysis. They were of great help.

Sincerely,

DTram

Browser: Explorer 8