This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Link Question

Well I'm knew to web design myself but I was wondering what the line of code is that allows you to create a link that goes to specific spot on any given page.

IE: A single page for a FAQ that has a quick-link at top that takes you to that specific question on that page.

Browser: IE

Re: Link Question

What you are describing is called a Anchor Link. A anchor link is a normal link that targets a named anchor. Below is some sample coding. At the top of the page is a anchor for use as a "back to top" link at the end of each chapter.

Each Chapter link targets a anchor link at the start of each chapter. At the top of the page is a anchor link for use as a "back to top" link at the end of each chapter.

Code:
<body>
<span style="color: orange;"><a name="top"></span>Select a Chapter

<p>| <span style="color: red;"><a href="#C1">Chapter 1</a></span> |
<span style="color: red;"><a href="#C2">Chapter 2</a></span> |
<span style="color: red;"><a href="#C3">Chapter 3</a></span> |
<span style="color: red;"><a href="#C4">Chapter 4</a></span> |
</p>

<h2><span style="color: blue;"><a name="C1"></span>Chapter 1</h2>
<p>Yadada Yadada Yadada. <span style="color: green;"><a href="#top">back to top</a></span></p>
<h2><span style="color: blue;"><a name="C2"></span>Chapter 2</h2>
<p>Yadada Yadada Yadada. <span style="color: green;"><a href="#top">back to top</a></span></p>
<h2><span style="color: blue;"><a name="C3"></span>Chapter 3</h2>
<h2><span style="color: blue;"><a name="C4"></span>Chapter 4</a></h2>
</body>

If you are really working on a FAQ, you might want to look at the FAQ Genie from Virdi Software. It's free and automatically generates the links to each FAQ item. You can configure it so that it creates the entire FAQ page in HTML. Then, the only up keep is to add/remove/modify FAQ items. It's a little difficult to figure out at first. But once you do, it works great. Here is an example of an out of date FAQ that I generated on The Website Wizard, using the FAQ Genie. It's on a free web site and uses an old template from Bravenet.

Browser: Firefox, Netscape, Sea Monkey, Internet Explorer, .....

Re: Link Question

Thanks, thats what I needed. Not actually using it for a FAQ tho lol. That was just the best way that I could think of explaining what I needed to do :)