This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Save As distorts navigation

I'm using one of the standard templates (Polar) and I've had this issue which is extremly frustrating. Take a look at my speakers.html page. If I simply open that file into the visual editor and save as speakers_new.html the navigation areas gets distorted. Please can someone take a quick look at this and explain?

Thanks

Browser: IE8

Re: Save As distorts navigation

I see no distortion at all in the menu. However,the scrollbars that accompanies the sitepal-thing in Explorer may be a hint. If you haven't already fixed the problem, it may because the sitepal needs more room. Get rid of it, anyway. Ever meet anyone who doesn't hate the noisy thing?

Oh, by the way: On the _new page you have changed the title to:
Tech Eloquent - An Indpendent Technology Voice
You may want to add an extra e or so before going public.

Razinni,

The reason this happens is the fault of the Visual Editor. And I think you may have already figured this out.

Your original page, "speakers.html", was generated by the Website Wizard. But many of the Wizard themes rely heavily on the existance of a "DOCTYPE" tag at the beginning of the HTML file. The "DOCTYPE" tag essentially is an instruction to the web browser about what version of the markup language the page is written in. For the Website Wizard themes, they generally use "HTML 4.01 Transitional", which includes most presentational and depreciated elements. Basically, that says the web page uses a lot of old style, depreciated, tags and the "DOCTYPE" tag lets them use them.

But the Visual Editor has an issue with some structures. I may be because a "DOCTYPE" tag is not really a HTML tag, but an instruction. So the Visual Editor filters out this line when you save your work. If you open that same page with the Text Editor, you can put the "DOCTYPE" tag back in, but the next time you use the Visual Editor, it will be gone again. For the particular Theme that your using, most of the issues with a missing "DOCTYPE" tag show up in the navigation menu.

Website Wizard Themes are usually poor choices for templates, when used outside of the Website Wizard. An the Visual Editor is a poor choice of editors.

Browser: Firefox, Netscape, Sea Monkey, Internet Explorer, .....

Thanks for the great responses. The issue was that DOC type which when you use the visual editor it removes. I think I've caught the spelling errors and I plan on using eithe sitepal or something similar. We are public speakers after all. I won't be putting it on our main page but will try it on the speakers link which isn't up yet.

Thanks again for your help.

Browser: IE8