This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Page does not always open properly

HI there,

My friend had made this page for me, but it does not open consistently. Sometimes the top table does not come through and the top of the page is blue. The words show but the page is not right. When I click Ctr F5 then it appears properly.

Any ideas on why this happens..not all the time, but only sometimes. This will be an important sales page for me and I need it to work properly.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Browser: IE and Firefox

Re: Page does not always open properly

The reason it is inconsistent is that, you are hot linking the images from another site (www.lifeline4.me). The page is timing out before the images can be loaded. When you refresh the page (F5 or Ctrl-R) it forces your browser to get the images.

It looks like your site, and the site where your images are, were created by the same person. To fix the inconsistency problem, upload the images you need to your own web site, and then adjust the image links so you get the images from your web site.

The "meta" tags are completely incorrect. A search engine will probably throw most of them away. If a search engine did figure out the "meta" tags, there are a lot of common and replicated keywords. Search engines consider this as "keyword stuffing" and give the site a very low ranking.

Beyond that, while the basic structure is OK, and the page appears to mostly work, it is full of errors, has poor syntax, and lots of useless replication. There are a lot of extra terminating tags that don't have initiating tags. This may confuse some browsers and render the page useless.

It also looks like you may be using Bravenet's on-line Visual editor on it. The "DOCTYPE" manages how some of the structures in your HTML are interpreted. Bravenet's Visual editor deletes "DOCTYPE" tags when you save your work. The absence of this tag can make the web page do some very strange things. Mostly things you don't want it to do.

Browser: Firefox, Netscape, Sea Monkey, Internet Explorer, .....

wowo okay thanks! hahah I guess my friend is not aware of all that...

I just remembered how this site came about...
The top part with the key, was from one of her sites, and the rest was from another of her sites. I wanted the top of one, but the body of the other.
She did the first of it all, then I did some on bravenet..you are correct. I was changing words, fonts etc...but the base was hers. When I went back to look, I see some of what you are talking about. She has all kinds of her own stuff in there.

Maybe I can do some of it, but I am afraid to touch it! I will have to go do a practise page I think,but I don't have the time..hmmmmm will see.

Thank you so much for your time. I appreciate this very much. If I had the money to hire you to do this, I would! I had actually gone to your blog a few months ago when I was looking at using the templates. Looks like I should go back and read some more

Thank you.
Oh and what does this mean?
nbsp;  

The "nbsp;" is a non-breaking space. There is a ampersand before it, but that will cause the forum to erase it or change it. It's intended to be used when you don't want a browser to break or wrap a line of text, at a specific place. Far too many people use it to format their pages, which is not what it was intended for.

It will take a few days, but I will send you a link so you can download a cleaned up version of your page.

Browser: Firefox, Netscape, Sea Monkey, Internet Explorer, .....

Oh my gosh..thank you, thank you, thank you!

You have made my day...heck my whole week!

This is great...I had a problem with that paypal button too, and have new html put on now...I hope this one works!

Blessings! Barbara Marie