General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
PLEASE. WHAT IS STYLE.CSS?

Please, I need help.

When I am going to publish my web page this is the first one that appears:

"style.css"
This file controls your layout and colors, it is essential for your site to function"

My question is Do I really need to publish this page, that apparently comes alredy with bravenet?

When I see in "whois.com" my web page TAGS everything is about bravenet: Here I copied and pasted for you:

Tags: com, miamitarot, bravenet, hosted, site, tarot, free, gratis, horoscopo, del, yahoo, carta, world, images, webtools, amber, gif, http, company, viviti, emporia, edu, earthsci, www, amor, miami, astral, runas, oraculo, servicios, build, builder, own, ever, character, marketing, website, email, talking, mailing,

This is not what I need.
Thank you very much in advance.

Re: PLEASE. WHAT IS STYLE.CSS?

This sounds like you are publishing from the Website Wizard. With Layout based Wizard you have the option to choose what page(s) get published. But I have never found this option very useful. The Theme base Wizard doesn't give you the option of not publishing the style sheet.

As the description says, the "style.css" file controls your layout and colors. It does a lot more than that, but those are the basics you really need to know about. If you made any changes to the site layout or site colors, from the Wizard, the "style.css" file will reflect the changes. The changes will not be in your HTML file so if you don't publish the style sheet, you will never see the changes on your web pages.

I'm not sure why you are worried about publishing the "style.css" file. In the end, it's a fairly small file and doesn't noticeably slow the publish process down.

I don't understand your other question, about TAGS. You may have to elaborate a little bit. You didn't provide a URL for your site so I don't see any TAGS.

Browser: Firefox, Netscape, Sea Monkey, Internet Explorer, .....

First of all THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP AND EXPLANATION.

As you can tell my English is not that good. I'm sorry about it.

What I tried to say is that there is a web page called www.cqcounter.com. If you visit it, you can see the owners' web pages, when there where created, by what company, the hosting co. too, the popularity links, and very usefull information.

So...I went to that web site and I checked mine www.miamitarot.com and the TAGS that appears registered are information about bravenet and this is not convenient for my business, because when mayor sites like yahoo, google, msn, etc. try to place my web page in a good and right place is going to be wrong.

I hope I made myself clear.

Wish you VERY GOOD LUCK

OK, I see what your talking about now.

The "Who Is" and "Site Info", from "cqcounter.com", displays the Description and Keywords from your web site, and then scans the content of your front page. It looks like it extracts all of the words on the site and the ranks them by use. This is pretty much in line with what a search engine would do. Even though you purchased a domain name you are using a free web site. Many of the words that it picks up are from the advertisements on the web page. The only way to get around that is to upgrade to paid hosting.

However, even on a site with paid hosting, Website Wizard users still have the Bravenet name imbedded in their site title. With the Wizards, they always add on " - A Bravenet Hosted Site" at the end of your page title. That's know as branding. I believe, for yet another fee, Bravenet will remove the branding. But I am not sure on that. It's easy enough to eliminate it, so that visitors don't see the " - A Bravenet Hosted Site", but you can't really hide it from page scanners.

It takes time to see how you really get ranked on a search engine. The best way to tell is to keep an eye on your web site stats. I use a free stat counter very similar to the one you use. My stat counter lists each user and how they found my site. For search engine entries, I can see the keywords that the visitor used, and find out what keywords work well and which search page my site was found on.

While the description, keyword and tag information is important, search engines do not depend on them entirely for ranking sites. Many user sites use "keyword stuffing", so search engines try to use other information. They rely mainly on web page content. Pretty much, any keywords that don't exist somewhere in your web page content, will be discarded by search engines. If they find too many, they might lower the ranking of your site, or simply refuse to rank it at all.

Since they rely mostly on page content, sites do not have to have descriptions or keyword tags at all. I have a web site that does not have any "description" or "keyword" tags. The site covers a pretty narrow area of interest, yet it always turns up on page one, for searches that target the area of interest. That site now averages 20,000 hits a month. And, about 12 percent of the hits are from search engines.

The rest of the hits are from other sites linking to mine, and from references in discussion forums, like this one. It is not important to include your email address in a forum post, but a URL is. Posting a email address only gets you spam, but all search engines scan forum posts. So every post on the internet should include your web site URL.

Browser: Firefox, Netscape, Sea Monkey, Internet Explorer, .....