This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
HTML for Password Protect

Hello, I am try to use the HTML codes provided by Bravenet to add password proection to my webpages. I was successful in placing the first code (user/password) but the code for actually adding protection to the secure page is getting rejected. I'm not sure what is wrong. Any tips?

Re: HTML for Password Protect

"rejected" meaning?

FOR STARTERS SUZY

the PG service is supposed to be placed on your index.html page

then people will type in the login/password you set up for the service and then they login to the SECURE PAGE

you don't put PG service on the Secure page.

And also don't have the secure page linked on your website either it defeats the purpose of the PG service

But not fully sure what even you are doing and more as previous poster has no clue either.

Thanks for posting back, I do appreciate having someone willing to at least TRY to help answer my questions. I've got the PG on the index page, I'm having no trouble with that part at all. The HTML provided for placing into the secure page is the one being "rejected". Rejected in that I'm getting a message of failure; that the code is no good. I wondered if there might be a problem with the code OR if it's the website builder that I'm using (officelive). You're correct in that I don't know what I'm doing... I wish I could find HTML for Dummies - It's GOT to be out there, I'm sure I'm not the only clueless website builder out there! Thanks again, Suzy

So the problem may require knowledge of office live. Oh, it is probably something you are doing wrong, but the way I edit webpages, i can - and sometimes do - add the most horribly mangled code with no protest until the uploaded webpage goes insane.

One thing you may look for is where you are posting. Perhaps officelive objects because you are trying to place the code in the wrong spot.

this tutorial may not exactly be for dummies, but it is quite useful.

Oh, and for officelive users, you may want to note down the exact wording of the error report.

Hi,

I am having trouble understanding what the go is with everything. with protected pages, so if someone could outline what i have to do that be great. =)

Just say i have index.html, what code goes in this page, the Login page code in the body of the html page.. yes?

Then what is the next step i have to do?

How do i go about linking everything so my users or visitors with the right login details can access my say 'photos page' or be directed to this page. As i am trying to do it, and a blank page appears with google and bravenet at the bottom.?

Say for example this,...
The index.html has photos or important text. I want a login page to be filled in with login details and password before you get to the page. oK. I am using dreamweaver, do i change some of the existing code so it takes the user once correct login details have been entered to my index.html page??

Where does the other piece of code go/on what page?

Im just a little mixed up of how it all comes together with those two pieces of code, linking two pages.

Also one other thing, the password and login, they are the same for bravenet. is it possible to change the password and login, or does this not make sense, because users may enter my actual account at bravenet? So what's the point of this?

What is PG short for?

OK thanks heaps and if someone could get in touch with us soon it be great.

member85

Ok, I just did some snooping around on bravenet and figured all of my own questions out and understand how it goes/works!!

Ill explain for others who have also may have problems at the start.

The site which you want the user to go to after having entered details is found in your account members area or such once YOU have logged into BRAVENET.

You go to edit link and you modify the url, under member tools or something like that.

Once you have modified url, you can also modify the password and login for the protected pages as to what you want your users to use. This is all in your bravenet options.

But not making sense of the two pieces of code, what are the different uses for the two/each? Which should i use?

Also, how do i make the banner smaller, or a tleast only bravenet text, the white banner is good but could be smaller, not impressed by this nor will my users be when surfing the restricted site which they have come to.. Hrmmm..

not completely happy yet i do like this password protect feature of bravenet, good stuff. anyone out there with info on the banner to decrease size would be good, thanks heaps..

If you have free hosting with the bravenet banners at top and the footer at bottom

YOU CAN'T ADJUST IT IN ANY WAY

Only thing can do is upgrade to premium hosting and then the banners/footer will go away

Same if you use any of the services like guestbook, forum and so forth

Upgrade