This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
This file manger is a lot different than Geocities

As you might know, Geocities is going belly up sometime in the next few months, so I had to find a new home for my fanfiction sites.

I am having a bit of trouble with this file manager, in that I am not certain how to create pages. In Geocities, you pick a file, name it (----.html) and then fill in text and pictures. I have cut and pasted all my fanfic pages from the Geocities file manager, but am unsure how to re-create them using Bravenet.

Thank you in advance.

Browser: Firefox

Re: This file manger is a lot different than Geocities

"In Geocities, you pick a file, name it (----.html) and then fill in text and pictures"

Rosalee, that is how you do it everywhere. But when you put it like that, I suspect you were using PageBuilder. Is that right?

If so, I really, really think you should ask yourself if you want to use some online editor that makes you dependent on your host. If you had been using an offline editor (there are hundreds, many free) and ftp, you would not need to ask this question, just
1) Sign up (1 minute)
2) Upload your pages (30 seconds for a average personal site - could be a lot more if your site is huge, of course)

And your site will be always sitting there on your computer (and the occasional backup CD). You will never have to go through this painful prosess if Bravehost decides free websites aren't worth the trouble, or a tech spills coffee down your server. You will always be able to be online withing minutes.

Re: This file manger is a lot different than Geocities

On Bravenet, the default home page is "index.html" or "index.htm". This should be the page you want visitors to see first, when they use your URL. The rest of your pages can be named almost anything else, as long as they have a ".html" or ".htm" extension. You don't have to specify the "index.html" page in your URL. The web host will automatically look for it when your URL is used.

Creating pages is very simple from the File Manager. There are links at the top of your file listing for making a folder, making a file, or uploading files. Once you create a file with a ".html" extension, switch to the Visual/Text editor to edit it.

You can edit your pages on-line using the Visual and Text editors, but I do not recommend it. The Visual editor has some issues, and doesn't always save things the way you want. You might want to take a look at my pages on Kvetching about Templates. The pages on templates have links to some good free web page design tools. These tools have built in upload capabilities. This lets you develop and change your pages on your PC and then upload when you are ready.

Browser: philokvetch.bravehost.com