This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
colored text makes a mess of code

Hello,
I prefer to use colored text on my site, however, by doing so, makes a mess out of the html coding. It displays fine, but when trying to edit the page, it may display a code 100 times or more on the page, is there any way to eliminate this other than not using colors? Thank you for your time.
Joe

Browser: firefox

Re: colored text makes a mess of code

The pages I visited seemed to have all blue (or in one case, all black) text. Where is this problem?

Hello Corwings, the pages display fine, however, when editing a page it is quite a mess as the html is a mess, as it places a or similar codes throughout the page, a good 50 - 60 times or more and makes for a ton of clutter, it has cut off content on more than one occasion. I was curious if I were doing something wrong?

Here is a small sample of what I am referring to, copied directly from a portion of a page in the code editor:

It does this throughout a page, if I highlight and delete this, it comes right back the next time I click on code editor. As you can see it makes a mess, the above is between two spaces, or br, br on the page of what the public sees. It's not a major issue as the pages display fine, other than some content being cut off - this is resolved by creating a new page, however, it is not a solution. Thank you for your time.
Joe

Looks as if you are using a word processing programme to generate your html. That is the only think that I have seen that produces code that bad.

Get yourself a proper web page creation programme like NVU.

Code Editor means a Wizard page, right? I really don't know my way around the Wizard, I just keep a page for occasional experiments. But I went into the Code Editor, changed a word to red, and nothing like that happened. How exactly do you go about changing the color? I think Peter is probably right. You must be dragging this mess in from Word, or Publisher.

Yes, I am using the Website Wizard Professional page, click on edit your page, and edit as necessary. While searching the web, I came across a site called Anabella's, which is no longer around, anyway, I followed a guide that said to add colored text to an entire page, add the code font color = "#xxxxxx">, at the beginning of each page that I wanted to have the colored text which I did, and although it worked for the most part on the text, it also created the nightmare code that I posted over and over again throughout the page, several times, making for a huge mess. You see the code inserted inside the mess that I posted. Did I insert the code in the wrong location? The editor doesn't show the body html tags, so it is assumed that it automatically places it on the beginning and end of each page. I am not using any external program, just what Bravenet provides using a basic template as you can see, there are no real bells and whistles on the pages, just straightforward text and pictures. The blue text looks much better in my opinion than straight black does. Thanks again for any assistance provided.

Changing the font color on a Wizard creation is always an issue. This is because the Wizard's editors do not provide you with the capability to change the font color. You can easily change the font type and size, but not the color. To accomplish it, a user needs to switch to the Code Editor and manually add the necessary font tags. Due to the way the Wizard's editor works, this can get pretty messy sometimes. But that doesn't mean this can't be done cleanly. The key is to work with the Wizard, not against it.

One simple way to accomplish the font color change, from a Wizards content editor, is to select (highlight) the paragraph you want changed, and then use the dropdown selector and change the font. It really doesn't matter which font you select, because your going to change it anyway. Then switch to the Code editor. The font change should have placed a "style" definition in the paragraph tag. If you selected a Arial font, it should look like the following:

Code:
<p style="font-family: Arial;">Yadada yadada yadada</p>

To change the color, simply modify the "style" definition to read like this:

Code:
<p style="color: #000099;">Yadada yadada yadada</p>

When you switch back to the Visual Editor mode, you should see a change in the font color. The drawback to this method is that you need to select each and every paragraph separately. You can't wrap the style setting around all of the content.

So, say you want all of the text in the content editor to be a specific color, but don't want to mess around with editing every paragraph. This can be done by adding a modification to the default paragraph style, set by the Wizard's style sheet. It's not visible from the content editor, but the main content area is wrapped in a "div" with an ID of "mainContent". To change the color of all text in that page, switch to the Code Editor and insert the following style definition at the very end of the text.

Code:
<style>#mainContent p { color: #000099; } </style>

When you switch back to the Visual Editor mode, you won't see any difference, but once you save your work, a preview of the page will show the color change. If you also wanted to change the font type and size, at the same time, you could expand the added code to read as follows.

Code:
<style>#mainContent p { font: normal 1.4em Arial, Sans Serif; color: ##000099; } </style>

That code would define a normal Arial font of size "1.4em", colored blue. Using the "em" unit has the advantage of allowing the end-user to adjust the text size through their available browser settings.

This is the best way of handling a font color change. If you were sure you wanted all of the text in the main content area, for all of your pages, to be that color, you could add this setting in the header. This would than apply the color/font/size change to the main content area on all your pages.

Browser: philokvetch.bravehost.com

Thanks Philo for the advice, I tried the last code in the header section and it didn't work, I'll have to try again when I have a little more time, as that would be the easiest solution, making everything fontwise, blue. Unfortunately, I didn't write down what was there and erased my code to get rid of the boxes on the right hand side, a search hasn't turned up that code either. Some days nothing goes right! I'll try it again in a day or so.
Thanks,
Joe