This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
trouble with internet explorer browser

My website looks crazy in the Internet Explorer browser!!! I check my page in Mozilla and it looks perfect but in Explorer it looks way different and the page seems to be out of order. How do I fix this so my website is compatible in all browsers?

The only page that seems to have problems is my home page... all other pages load fine... ????

Help please!

Browser: mozilla, safari

Re: trouble with internet explorer browser

Your front page has a different layout than the other pages, so it shows the problem more, but all your pages look bad in IE. The reason is pretty common. Your site is a Website Wizard creation but you are now editing it from the Visual/Text editors in the File Manager. The Visual editor has a feature where it discards code that it doesn't recognize. The "DOCTYPE" tag is one of them.

The "DOCTYPE" tag should be the first line on each of your web pages. Many of the Wizard themes require a specific "DOCTYPE" tag, to insure that browsers like IE work in the correct mode. Without it, some of the HTML will not work as you expect.

The fix is to either stop using the Visual Editor and go back to the Wizard. Or put the "DOCTYPE" tag in your pages with the Text editor. Going back to the Wizard is probably a bad idea at this point. Should you now use the "publish website" option in the Wizard, it will overwrite all of the changes you made with the Visual Editor.

Your only real option is to add the "DOCTYPE" tag in with the Text editor. Below is what the "DOCTYPE" tag should look like. Open your front page with the Text editor and insert the line at the top of the page. Save your work and view it from the internet. You may need to use a couple of browser refreshes to see the change (F5 or Ctrl-R).

Code:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

Now, every time you edit your pages with the Visual editor, and save your work, you will need to add the line back in using the Text editor. You don't have too many pages, so this shouldn't be a big issue. Also, you may want to make some of your images a little smaller. It looks like some of them are wider than the content areas. Some browsers will handle this OK, but some will not and cause your page to look odd again. Images that are too wide tend to push the right sidebar to the bottom of the web page.

Browser: Firefox, Netscape, Sea Monkey, Internet Explorer, .....

Re: trouble with internet explorer browser

You've helped me once again Philo.... will you marry me ;) Thanks so much!

Browser: mozilla, safari