This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
RE: Code Structure

Hello All
I want to have a page which is properly validated by W3C with no errors. I've corrected a few things so far, but I wonder if you can help with the structure of coding for my table.
on the home page of www.beecroftprecision.com the table displays exactly as I want it to but Validator says that I haven't closed the first 'col' tag that I opened. As far as I can see I have closed it so I can only assume I have placed it incorrectly in the structure of coding. Validator info as follows:
Line 89, Column 21: end tag for "col" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
col width="65…✉
You may have neglected to close an element, or perhaps you meant to "self-close" an element, that is, ending it with "/>" instead of ">".

Line 89, Column 3: start tag was here
col width="656"
I hope you can help

Kind Regards
jayabee3

The error message tells you everything you need to know. The "col" tag is not used very much any more, but it is still valid, if you terminate it correctly. The "col" tag on line 84 is terminated, but not correctly. The "col" tag in the other table is not terminated at all. This link to the HTML col tag should make it a little clearer.

Browser: Firefox, Netscape, Sea Monkey, Internet Explorer, .....

I'm playing arond with the code on a copy, trying to get it right before I place the code in the live page. I thought I did understand the table, column, row and cell tags, but obviously not. I've tried moving it around to where I think it should be, but then it doesn't display properly :-(