This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Background repeat

I thought I would try out bravenet and I'm having a little trouble. I got an overall background that goes behind everything so that works. There's only one little area right now that I'm trying to figure out which is the repeat background section for my text area. I try veiwing it in explorer and it doesn't show up where in firefox it does, but when I try to go edit it again, the code changes then the section backgroud doesn't show up in either. I have some experience with html, but I can't figure out why there is a different in bravenet yet. Anyways, if anyone like to view the site and have an idea of how they do it, let me know. I've only done one page yet so no links are working.

Re: Background repeat

I believe your problem is due to an error on your web page. Firefox tends to ignore some errors and makes assumptions. Sometimes it even gets them right. But IE doesn't ignore anything. So everything has to be correct.

I'm not sure if your trying to use one table or two. I see a table started and the top row seems to be made up of 14 small images. These include the link tabs. But right below the image that says "About Me", I see some odd code.

Code:
<td background="http://nicholepearsondesign.bravehost.com/layout_16.jpg" style="background:repeat:repeat-y" width="814" height="12" /><table width="735" border="0" align="center">

<TABLE width=735 align=center border=0>

The background image is not specified correctly, and the "style" is totally wrong. Then, without terminating the table, two new tables are started. Only one of which ever gets terminated. Did you intend to have multiple tables or was this suppose to be one table? Was this copied from another template? Do you have a copy of the original code to look at?

Browser: Firefox, Netscape, Sea Monkey, Internet Explorer, .....

This is my orignal code that I did in dreamweaver. When I test this stuff, everything shows up like it's supposed to in the browsers. The code always seem to be different after I try saving it in bravenet...I'm trying to figure out how to put the code in without the images showing up...I'll put it in the next post

You should be able to view the code at this link

http://nicholepearson.com/index3.html

Sorry this took so long. I had some business to take care of yesterday.

I was able to pick the code from your new link. It was slightly different than what I picked off of your web site, but it didn't have any problem working correctly. And, I have a better idea of what you were trying to do. It worked in Firefox and IE, even with an error in a style setting.

Most of your problems come from a incorrect style setting. In your table you have a style that says "background:repeat:repeat-y". There is an extra colon in that style. It should read "background-repeat:repeat-y". Not the "dash" between the words "background" and "repeat". Just replacing the colon with the dash will make the code work properly.

But the differences between the code you linked to, and what I see when I view your site, suggests to me that you are also trying to work in the on-line Visual editor. It's OK to preview your pages in the Visual editor, but if you are uploading your code from DreamWeaver, you should NEVER use the "Save" icon. The code you linked to in your last post, except for the style setting, is correctly done. But the code I see over the internet is missing a few things. Most notably is the "DOCTYPE" tag. The "DOCTYPE" tag is mostly useful for keeping IE out of the "quarks" mode, and make it render the page the way other browsers would. But the Visual editor deletes that line, and modifies other places in the code, when you use the "Save" icon.

So, if you are creating your site with DreamWeaver, do all your editing on your PC, and upload all your changes. Only use the on-line editors for previewing.

One of the tools that I use, when I am trying to find a syntax error, is the "Error Console" that is built in to Firefox. Even though Firefox displayed everything correctly, it will still flag errors. If it comes across a style that is incorrect, or not properly formed, the "Error Console" will tell you. Below is the output from Firefox's "Error Console", when I access your code. After I fixed the style setting, no errors were reported.

Warning: Expected end of value for property but found ':'. Error in parsing value for property 'background'. Declaration dropped.

Browser: Firefox, Netscape, Sea Monkey, Internet Explorer, .....

Thank You for helping me out...One little mistake can make a huge difference. It's finally working now and hopefully continue that way.

Thanks Again