This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
images not loading to site

I have a couple of questions I need some help on please. The URL for my site is http://it470unit2.bravehost.com/Introducing.index.html
I use Firefox 3.0. and IE both.
First off let me say that I created the file in Dreamweaver CS4 in XHTML and have validated the code. There were no errors in the code.
But, I cannot get my images to show on my site. I have uploaded the correct images (several times just to make sure they were the right ones). They are in the file manager and when I click on them they come up, but they will not come up on the site page. What am I doing wrong?

Also why are there 2 sets of html tags for my head and body in my source code? How do I fix that? My instructor is going crazy because of it.

Any help will be appreciated.

Browser: Firefox, IE

Re: images not loading to site

There are two sets of HTML tags for your head and body in your source code because you are using a free site. The Bravenet servers key on your "body" tag to know where to insert their advertisements. The only way to get rid of the extra code is to upgrade to paid hosting. Then all the advertisements will go away. Generally, the advertisements don't cause any problems, but may be an issue if you validate directly from the internet.

Your images don't work because you uploaded them to the wrong place. The code in your page is expecting to find them in the "images" folder. If I try to access one of them manually at "http://it470unit2.bravehost.com/images/2009-05-25-48654.jpg", which is effectively what your web page code says, I find a empty file. However if I use "http://it470unit2.bravehost.com/2009-05-25-48654.jpg", I can see the image just fine. You should be able to fix the image problem by re-uploading your images to the "images" folder on your web site. If there is only a couple of them, it may be easier to just use the File Manager. Or, change the links in the web page to point to the images correctly.

Validation is no guarantee that your web page is going to do what you want. A validator only checks your web page's syntax against a specific HTML/CSS standard. If you make an error in specifying something like a image location, it will not be flagged as an error, as long as all the commas, quotes, and terminators are in the right place. Use it only as a indicator that you didn't make any big coding errors, and that it should display the same in all browsers.

Browser: Firefox, Netscape, Sea Monkey, Internet Explorer, .....

Re: images not loading to site

Thank you so much. I went back to my files and took the pictures out of the image file and copied them to the main folder, redid them in Dreamweaver then reloaded the files to my site and now they appear perfectly. Having the two image files got to be confusing but I think I have a handle on it now. I am just glad to see them appear If you had not drawn my attention to that I would never have figured it out...well maybe at some point...

Thatnks again for the prompt reply and helpful advice.

Browser: Firefox, IE