This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Using free layout templates, need major help!

Okay so I posted on here a few days ago. But it turns out my link wasnt working and now it is. So anyway, if you go to my website you can see that when you click the link at the top "home" it brings you into an entire new page. Im trying to get it to open in the area, on the main layout page, where it says "heading one AND heading two". Any suggestions would be great.

Browser: firefox

Re: Using free layout templates, need major help!

I think you are misunderstanding what a template is and how the links work. When you click on a link, it is suppose to bring you to an entirely new page.

The type of operation your describing is known as "frames". For that you need a "frameset" page and then HTML pages that support each of the frames. But the template you are using is not a "frameset" page and is not set up for "frames" operation. Plus, on a free web site, "frames" are useless. Because of the way Bravenet inserts their advertisements, each of your frames will have ad banners. This will render them pretty useless. Some web hosts allow you to suppress the banners for "frames" based web sites, but Bravenet is not one of them.

Maybe your just looking for a simple web page builder, where all you do is enter data for the content areas and the builder takes care of the rest. For that you might want to look at the Website Wizards. The Wizards contain their own Themes and Layouts and can not use external template. The Wizards are intended for beginners and uses who don't know, or don't want to know, HTML/CSS. There is nothing wrong with using the Wizards, and many users do a good job with them.

The templates you download/upload from Bravenet, or almost any place else, usually contain a single HTML page, a style sheet, and a folder with support images. The HTML page is just a sample structure. The intent is that you make copies of the original HTML page, under different names. Then you open up each page individually, adjust the links in the navigation menu to point to the other pages, and add your content.

You might want to take a look at my pages on Kvetching about Templates. The pages on templates provide some details on what it takes to work with a template. There are also some links to free tools.

Browser: Firefox, Netscape, Sea Monkey, Internet Explorer, .....

Re: Using free layout templates, need major help!

Listen to Philo, he's been around a while and has gone the step I wish to take in the future. He know what he is talking about.

The templates are great for simple sites, however, if you want something more advanced you need to either learn html on your own, or hire someone who knows what they are doing, either way you would be better off just paying for bravenet hosting.

Browser: FireFox