This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Index.html

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, I cannot figure out how to create an index.html file, and how to get it outside of any directories. I am using Filezilla. Help!

Phoenix

Browser: Internet Explorer

Re: Index.html

right now got a blank white page

not sure if you are trying to use frames or what here

but with the free subdomain/free hosting frames are NOT SUPPORTED

you need to decide on what editor you are going to use and more things to make your site once get that decided then you can go forward

if you are using the bravenet editors like wizard then you just save your page as index.html and publish it when get finished

if you are using your own editor you save as index.html and upload your site using ftp

but perhaps more details from you will help us

I uploaded a directory of files. I need index.html to lead users to those files. I don't know how to set up index.html to lead to those files. Do I just name the directory "index.html?"

I see the start of a Website Wizard creation, but I'm not sure that's what you want. If your not using the Wizard to design your website, then there really isn't anything there that is useful. The "publish website" option is only useful for a Wizard creation.

If you simply want to create a file named "index.html", in the root directory of your web site, you can simply use the File Manager. The File Manager will create an empty file, that you can fill in with whatever you want. But the "index.html" file is intended to be your home page. The page you want visitors to see first, when they use your URL, should be named "index.html" or "index.htm". The preference is "index.html". The rest of your pages can be named almost anything, as long as they have a ".html" extension.

It's common for some design tools to name you home page something like "home.html". The is usually some place in the design tool to allow you to change it to use "index.html" as the default home page. Then, all you should have to do is upload all your files and your site should respond. Note that the file/folder structure on your web site should be the same as the setup on your PC.

Thank you so much for your time and your advice. I just wanted a place to post photos to share with family. I finally discovered the website wizard, which was idiot-proof enough for me to do it. (I don't know how to write in html; been too many years.)

I appreciate your time and thoughtfulness.
--Phoenix

Phoenix Powers
At the risk of sounding like an idiot, I cannot figure out how to create an index.html file, and how to get it outside of any directories. I am using Filezilla. Help!

Phoenix