This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Converting HTML Form Input to an Online txt File

I have a small knowledge of html and I had been wondering if its posible to take a forms input and place the information collected into a already made online .txt file. Ive been doing my research and have gotten headaches from this .

Thanks for the help!

Re: Converting HTML Form Input to an Online txt File

My website should help

Re: Converting HTML Form Input to an Online txt File

I guess that depends on what your really trying to do. Forms are rather interesting structures.

The most common form, that users are familiar with, is the e-mail form. An e-mail form generally works with a processing script on the web server. Form field information is extracted from the form and then sent to a specific e-mail address. Is this the kind of form your talking about? It is possible, with a little programming, to make a PHP script that would take the field information and append it to a already existing file. Generally this would take rewriting the file, while inserting the new information. Personally, I would not make it completely automatic or you might get something published, that you really don't want published.

Or are you just trying to put the information in a text field? For that you can just copy/paste the information from the returned form data into a structure. An example of the HTML code and results for this kind of thing can be seen at W3Schools - Textarea Example.

Form field information can also be read, and a new page created, dynamically. Javascript has the ability to extract the field data and then dynamically create a popup page. The page can not be saved to your web site directly, because Javascript does not have any file write capabilities. But you could mix it with PHP for that.

Without knowing exactly what you are trying to do, I can only talk in generalities. Copying and pasting into a structure is the simplest way. Javascript can be done with free web site. But if you try to mix in PHP, you generally going to need paid hosting. And, of course, you might have to learn how to program in HTML, Javascript, and/or PHP. This isn't hard to learn, but it does take time.