This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Tracking my link usage

I design and store style sheets for games, It would be good if I could track how many times a particular styles was used and post that with the individual skins. Anyone know a code for that or a script?

I currently use the site stats, but it doesn't tell me what links people are using, only overall page views, these aren't actually pages.

Browser: FireFox nightmare1158@hotmail.com = msn and just nightmare1158 =yahoo and skype

Re: Tracking my link usage

You may want to try a different stat counter. I use a stat counter from AddFreeStats.com. With AddFreeStats, I can see how each visitor got there, what pages they looked at while they were there, how long they were there, and where they went when they left. I have been using their free service for about 4 or 5 years now on a site that gets about 18,000 hits a month. It's pretty easy to set up and will provide you with lots of details on your visitors.

But I doubt it will be able to track your style sheet downloads. You only provide URLs for accessing your sheets. A visitor has to copy the link into their browser, in order to access the link. That doesn't give a stat system anything to follow. And since all they connect to is a text file, there really isn't any code you could add.

You could possibly make the stats work for you if you posted each style on a separate page, with the styles as code in a text box. This would provide a link that the stats can work with. Or, put your styles in a Zip file, along with any necessary images. You could then use relative links in the styles definitions and eliminate the image linking back to your web site. That only lets other users waste your bandwidth.

Many hosting services will make site statistics available, sometimes with an extra charge. Check with them as to what is available.

You would still need some analysis software to extract what you wanted from the raw stats.

A hit counter will only register pages on which it is installed and will ignore images and other non html downloads.

I'm sorry, I didn't add everything here. I have premium hosting and the stats for the entire site are enabled. Each of the styles has it's own link. It is the link usage I want to track.

On the game styles they are use directly from my site. They simply go to the game, and paste in the url to that skin to put it in the game. I want to know how many people are using any particular skin.

I wondered if a code in the stylesheet would maybe work as a "track from"

The over all stats on the website are great, I see that I have alot of "hits" that don't show up on the bravenet stats counter, that really is just for every page. I put it there yesterday, just to say I have it.

Thanks for the input, I'll consider that program you mentioned Philo, could use it in another way other than what I am truly wanting.

Browser: FireFox nightmare1158@hotmail.com = msn and just nightmare1158 =yahoo and skype