This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
what does code error look like?

Let me try asking this in a different way. Bravehost support says there is an error in coding on my page which causes the footer of their info to appear at the top of all 20 of my pages. Does anyone know what kind of error I should be looking for?

Re: what does code error look like?

Yes, that's the standard response from Bravenet. Bravenet does not provide coding support and are really not very interested in helping free site users. From their standpoint, if you upgraded to paid hosting, all your problems would be solved.

Your problem stems from your web design tool. All of the elements in your web pages are using absolute positioning, but the advertisements, that are suppose to be at the bottom, doesn't. It's a rather involved explanation as to why this happens, but I don't think that anyone is really interested in it. What you really want is a fix, and that explanation is complicated enough.

You can fix the problem with the advertisements by putting a wrapper around the entire page. A wrapper is simply a

structure that starts right after your tag, and terminates just before your tag. The
structure is then given a "relative" positioning and a width and height that encompasses your page. You can accomplish this in two ways.

The first is to simply put the following code in your web pages right after the tag.

Then place the
terminator,
, at the end of your HTML document, just before the terminating tag.

The second method is to create a style named "container" and add it to one of your style sheets. The style would look like the following code

#container {

width: 1024px;
height: 1500px;
margin: 0 auto;
border: 1px solid #000000;
}

Then in your web page, place the code
right after the tag, and the
terminator,
, at the end of your HTML document, just before the terminating tag.

The second method is good if your having trouble with multiple pages. Placing it in a style sheet that read by all pages, makes it available to all pages. You will still have to add the
wrapper to all of your pages.

The settings above are based on your "index.html" and are set to be 1024 pixels wide and 1500 pixels high. This pushes the advertisement down below your content. If you use this on another page that has more content, making the page height larger, the height will need to be increased. I place a 1 pixel black border in the definition to make it obvious where the wrapper extends to. To remove the border either eliminage the border definition or set it to "0px". I made a copy of your front page and put it on a free web site, so you can see the effect. The example is at MPVets Example.

Thanks 4 the advice and helpful code. I will try it.

P.S. Couldn't view the example.

There was just an extra character in the link. Try this link:
MPVets Example

Philo,If U R still out there. If I want to eliminate the border should I eliminate the border statement altogether or just set it to "0" as [border: 0 px] I believe I should then leave off the "solid" and the "#000000"?

Since my 20 pages are not all the same height could I still use the style sheet and move just the height statement to the

line for each page?

Yes, I'm still around. I check all the forum groups on a regular basis. I think they call it lurking. I just can't always get back to everyone right away.

To allow for each of the pages to be a different length, I would recommend that you still use the style, for all the parameters that will not change. Then use a in-line style setting to adjust for the different heights. For example, if we remove the height setting in the following style.

#container {
position:relative;
width: 1024px;
margin: 0 auto;
border: 1px solid #000000;
}

Then, in the

wrapper we use a in-line style. The body section of your HTML code would look like the following. If the page needs more or less height, adjust it accordingly. The border setting in the in-line style allows you to turn the border on and off, to see where it is. Once you get the size adjusted correctly, change it to "0". This is handy when you add content and need to readjust the size.

Philo, Thanks millions (nowdays I guess everything is counted in Trillions), anyway I made it work and did first 2 pages. Have some editing to do before I finish the other pages but now thanks to U I know how.