This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
coding a website banner

I sent this message yesterday and now I don't see it displayed anymore. As you know, usually to place a banner on a site, one just copies the code and pastes it onsite. However, I'm working with a company that asks you to copy your affiliate link and paste it on the website, then copy their banner and paste it separately. When I clicked on the banner, nothing happened, and they said that the banner image HTML code must be surrounded by the link code. Does anyone know how to do this? I'd really appreciate some help. Thanks.

Re: coding a website banner

You probably don't see it as you posted it in the Copy/Paste forum.

It sounds like your affiliate company does not want to host the banner image. They want you to host the banner image, because it's faster and reduces their bandwidth usage.

The affiliate link should consist of a link structure wrapped around a image tag. The image tag should point to the banner image on your web site. A simple example is below. In the example, the code highlighted in RED is the affiliate link. It contains a reference to the affiliates web site. The code highlighted in BLUE is the tag. It contains a reference to the image that is stored on your web site. Note that, the link code surrounds the tag.

The href, in the link code, will probably contain some extra code appended to it. That is usually to identify your site to the affiliate on the other end, to obtain the appropriate credit.

I can't see your web site from my current internet connection, so I don't really know what you are using to edit your site. But, if you upload the image to your web site, add the affiliate link code to your site, and then specify the image in the tag, you don't have do anything else. The image should display and link directly to your affiliate.

Or, you upload the image to your web site, insert it into your web page, then select it and create a link. This will wrap the link code around the tag. Then all you need to do is make sure the references are correct.

Philo, thanks so much for replying to my call for help. I went to your website, but didn't notice a way to contact you personally, so I hope you see this. I tried what you said but the banner still doesn't send me anywhere. It's possible that it works for some, but at least one person told me that the banner wasn't working for them.
Would you be willing to take a quick look at the coding on my site? If so, would you please send me an email at sfort1222@msn.com and I'll give you my username and password. I'd really appreciate it if you'd be willing to do so. Thanks.

Steve,

Because of my current network connection, I can't see your web site. But that's not a big deal. From this connection, most of the Bravenet sites are blocked. Email is almost as much of a problem. But I will switching to a different network connection later and will be able to look at it directly.