This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Protecting your website

Does anybody know how I can protect my website form others who copy my pictures from my website?

I know that on some websites, if you right click your mouse, a popup will appear saying that "This Is Not Allowed" or something like that.

Does anybody know how to add this feature?

Thanks

Re: Protecting your website

you could do that but people will still get your pictures.

why not put a watermark on them or copyright text on them so they belong to you and such.

even if had that no right click thing you want I could download the page and still have your pictures

Go back to one of those sites. If you have been using the internet for more than a few weeks, just think about it for a couple of minutes, and you will realize that the stupid script does not "protect" anything if you want to copy.

The best solutions are:
1) Work on your attitude. Sharing is good. Hoarding is bad. If you create original work that other people want, take pride in that fact. You are useful!

2) Admittedly, there are situations where the suggestion above does not apply. The second best solution is to ask people politely not to copy your material. Does not stop everybody but a lot more than the script you are asking about.

3) Add text to your image. "Copyright - Dom 2008", or something. Not a perfect solution either. Oh, you can do it so that people are unlikely to want your images. See this Fotosearch example. Most people will not want their images to look like that. But if the text was harmlessy tucked away in the top right corner, it would be easily removed.

But what you really want is not possible. You see, i don't see images on your server. I can only see images that are on my computer. After I download them. If copying your images has the potential of embarrassing you or causing you financial loss, don't upload them.

Try the code found here:-

http://www.poqbum.com/imageprotect/index.php

Dom,

The "feature" your talking about is a Javascript "no right click" script. It intercepts a right click operation and modifies the visitors context menu. Complex ones can just eliminate single operations, but usually they use the brute force one that only generates an error message. When it works, it removes all of a visitors right click functionality. How rude.

This has two effects. One is, the visitor just moves on and surf some other sites. Or, they start looking closer, to see what your trying to hide. But in the end, it only has limited functionality. Users with newer browsers can just go to "Tools --> Options", and turn off the ability for scripting to modify their context menu. Or, as Peter suggested, a visitor can use their "Save Page As" function from the menu. This would download everything on their page.

While the approach that Steven links to is not perfect (it took me 8 seconds to get the image on the page), it is still far better than trying to mess with a visitors context menu. That approach wraps a

around a dummy blank image and then specifies the image with a in-line style. If a visitor uses their "Save Page As" function, they will find out that only the dummy blank image was downloaded. To get the image, the user would need to actually read the downloaded code, find the specified images, put the URL in their browsers address bar, and then extract it from the web site. They would have to extract them one at a time, which is generally, more work than a lot of users might care to do.

..... or there again, if desperate, you could just 'print screen' and paste into 'paint' (provided of course, the image actually fit the screen) and edit from there....

Re: Re: Protecting your website

In Firefox the view page info option gives it to you on a plate.

In the end you can no more stop people copying images off the web than you can stop them photocopying printed books.

The whole concept of the internet is about sharing. We all learn from one another. If you don't want someone to get access to something on the internet, simply don't put it there. But once it's out there on the net....!

In just about any browser all you really need to do is to click and drag any image from the browser to your desktop or address bar. Immediatley aquiring said image. Doesnt matter how you try and protect them they are easily taken. Browsers like Opera ignore the "no right click" script all together.

If its online and somebody wants it they will get it. Watermarks are good but like its been said above if you do not want it taken don't put it online.

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex9/noright2.htm

You can still get the images though....

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/photo2.jpg

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/photo3.jpg