This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Could someone please help me!!!!

I have seen a lot of websites that have their navigation buttons to the left of there webpage where they are always visible. My buttons are at the bottom of my page, but I would really like them to be at the side. I have tried but have not been able to put them on the side. Is there a code to do this with? Will I have to make an extreme change to what I already have? Thanks

Here is a link to my website.

www.shabbyshackprimitives.net

Re: Could someone please help me!!!!

well with the site you have links to the side won't look great

perhaps look into a different design for your website

there is nothing wrong with the way the links and buttons are now

but as mentioned you may have to totally redesign your site for what you want

at least to make it look like what I think you are wanting

Re: Could someone please help me!!!!

cindy,

Your right. With the navigation menu way down the bottom, many visitors may leave before they ever know it exists. There are several issues with web site, so it may be a good idea to rebuild using say, a template, with a navigation menu down the side. Your site looks nice, but it's a very old style and not very functional. A good bit of the page space is wasted to the framing. Because of that, the site is wider than most user's screens.

It looks like your site is designed for 1280x1024 screens. But according to my stats, the majority of users only have 1024x768 screens. This has a lot to do with the proliferation of laptops, which generally have smaller screens. Of course over time, this will change, but for now you should design for the smaller screen.

But, here is a possible alternative. I don't particularly like sites with static menus. A static menu is one that always stays visible when a visitor scrolls down a page. But, I made a sample to show you how it might work. Try this link to ShabbyShack Static Menu. This should show a menu on the left that always stays in view when someone vertically scrolls. The only big problem with it has to do with the width of your site. If someone scrolls horizontally, the menu disappears. While this can possible be fixed with a bit of work, it would be better to decrease the width of the site. But visitors will know from the first access that there is a menu.

The side menu script can from DynamicDrive.com - Floating Menu Script. I had to create new button images because your original ones were too big. The width is the same but the height was reduced to 30 pixels. I used the GRSites - Button Maker to create all of the button images.

I only implemented it on one page. For it to be on all pages, it may need to be reworked a little bit, so it can be source from each of your pages.