This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
H E L P !!!! PLEASE

I took over our club's website and no one to help me figure it out. I have never ran a website. The closest I got is a myspace account. Wondering if anyone can help me figure out a few things. I figured out how to upload pictures and thumbnails, but on the thumbnails how do I get them to be where you click on one and it blows up to see it? Another, on my myspace page I can make differn't wall paper. How do I change it on here. I tried to use one of my myspace programs but didn't work properly. There is got to be an easier way. Can some one please lend me a hand and help me. I would like to change the whole page. To me it is blah.. You can visit it by going to www.cerealcitytubclub.com and email me back if you could I check my mail about every other day.. Email is bnstmknsn@comcast.net Thank you very much.....

Re: H E L P !!!! PLEASE

Bob,

Except for a couple of odd things in the page, your predicessor did an excellent job working with the Website Wizard. The Wizard has lot of drawback and restrictions, and some of the stuff on your site took a lot of insight and knowledge. Especially with the way he/she managed the images on your photo pages. The use of thumbnails reduces bandwidth usage and the grouping makes the page easy on the eyes.

But I understand wanting to change it. But anything that happens on myspace, stays on myspace, and is not very useful on Bravenet. Bravenet doesn't limit you on how you create and maintain your web pages. Some users like the on-line utilities, like the Website Wizard and the Visual/Text editors, and others would rather create their pages off-line and upload them to their site.

The Wizard is good if you new to web page building. It manages most of the structure, so that you don't have to deal with it. But it's also very restrictive. Without a lot of knowledge, it's hard to work around these restrictions.

Some like the Visual/Text editors, but I can't personally recommend them. They have too many issues. Plus, restricting yourself to editing on-line can lead to loss of data and slow access. If your not connected to your Bravenet account, you can't modify your site.

There are lots of web page design applications available. The very good ones, like Dreamweaver and FrontPage, cost accordingly, but there are some that are free and still work well. You can also use one of the templates from the Template Gallery. For information on how work with templates, try my website on Kvetching about Templates, HTML, and CSS. Start by clicking on the "Templates" link in the navigation menu. That gives you some general information. The other links under "Templates" give you more specific directions. The sidebar on the "Template Editing" page provides links to several free web page applications.

Remember, while you are creating your new pages, the current Wizard creation will always be available as a backup. With the exception of the "myPictures" folder, you could delete all the files/folders you see through the File Manager, and the Wizard's data base will still have all the data. So, if at any time you wanted to revert to the Wizard creation, you can go to the Wizard and publish. But beyond that, if you are using something other than the Wizard to build your pages, there isn't anything useful in Wizard. The "publishing" capability in the Wizard is strictly for a Wizard design and can't be used for anything else.