This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Help with CSS please

Could anyone help please.I have got a free download website template, complete with css file.
I am quite an armature with CSS, but have managed to make the page longer, but can't seem to get the footer graphic to stay at the bottom of the page. Would appreciate some help with this problem.
Thanks in advance.
Mags

Re: Help with CSS please

in your normal html code, after the "under construction" statement, you have a bunch of P tags and BR tags that are making a bunch of space. try taking those out.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.
I tried what you suggested, but having removed the P and br tags, the footer graphic just ended up half way up the page.
I want to get it to stay, right at the bottom of the page.
Thanks.
Mags.

I made a copy of your pages several days ago, but it took me a while to work out the problem. I know you used a work around, and just put the footer as part of the main content area. But I thought you might like to know what the original problem was. At first I tried to look up the original template and use that as a guide. I did find one that had the same coloring, layout, and images, but the HTML/CSS structuring was very different.

There were a lot of issues that had to be dealt with, before I could get around to figuring out why the footer wouldn't stay at the bottom. The first thing I did was go through your template and remove all the extra spaces, breaks, paragraphs, and in-line formatting. I changed the order of the HTML and CSS file, but that was mostly for readability. Then I moved all of the formatting items to the style sheet, and added a few adjustments of my own. There was some missing

terminations and a couple of the <
s were out of order. What was left was a clean HTML and CSS file that appeared to be structured correctly, but the problem still persisted.

I finally had to resort to piecing the CSS file together one style at a time. When the footer started acting up, I knew I was in the right place and could concentrate my efforts. Here is a link to my final effort, Graces and Blessings Test. And, if you are interested, here is a link to a ZIP file that contains all of the files for the template, Graces_and_Blessings.zip.

The problem was due to an attribute in the "#leftpic" and "#rightpic" styles. I believe in the original template, the images were between the header and navigation menu. But your setup had the images placed below the navigation menu. The structure was modified to account for this, but not quite correctly. I made adjustments in the HTML to account for this, and then fixed the "#leftpic" and "#rightpic" styles, which allowed the footer to drop down properly. Because the "#leftpic" and "#rightpic" styles were now used as wrappers for the sidebars and the content areas, the "height" attribute was confusing the issue, causing the footer to rise improperly.

Hi Philo.
Thank you so much for your help, its very much appreciated.

Kind regards.
Mags