This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
HELP! Different browsers VERY different layout!

I just recently changed my layout on Bravenet, and did so using Safari....
After spending lots of time getting it right, I checked it out on IE and Mozilla Firefox and the layout was COMPLETELY different. I have spent time trying to find answers and have tried adding modifications to get certain content centered, but only had minor success. My nav bar is on the wrong side, and my main content had been pushed way down and I can't get it to align to the top.

At this point it looks halfway ok on IE, but the photo in the center is still too far down, etc. Firefox and Safari are completely wrong.

I have tried starting from scratch just to get my index page correct, but to no avail.

PLEASE HELP!!
my site is www.kellygill.bravehost.com

Re: HELP! Different browsers VERY different layout!

It looks like the code at the top of your page was causing most of the problem. I had trouble trying to figuring out what your intent was, so I just made adjustments. Try this link to Kelly Gill. I believe that this is how you want it to look. You should be able to see the same layout in all browsers.

The first thing I found was the tag was incorrect for that template. This line effectively sets the level at which the browser renders your web page(s), so that it will appear the same in all browsers. I downloaded a copy of the template to get the correct one. The I fixed the code near the beginning of the page. It looks like you did a copy paste from some Apple application so there are a few class references that won't do anything. But I think I fixed it to work well.

Here is a link to Kelly_Template.zip. It's in the same format as the original template, so download and unzip it to a new folder. This will prevent you from accidentally overwriting previous data. If you look at the code you will see the adjustments I made.

You will also find an extra image in the "images558" folder. I took your "kelly.jpg" and converted it to "kelly.gif" and gave it a transparent background. This makes it blend in better with the slightly "off white" background.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!

Thank you Philo for the info. I have not realized how much the document tag can make a difference. I'll explore this more myself.

Thank you again for your post.