This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
HELP........My web page has gone to the left when the template was centred

How can I put my web page back to th centre. My template started off centred but somehow when I saved my page it went to the left.

Can some one give me an example of what I am supposed to type and where to fix this I can't use HTML very well I usually work in visual basic.

Help!!1

Re: HELP........My web page has gone to the left when the template was centred

Yep, I see your problem. you're using Internet Explorer... I checked the page in IE, FireFox, Safari, Opera, and even the new Google Chrome, and the only one with a problem was IE.

As to fixing it... I'm afraid I can't help much. IE's way of displaying pages has always been alien to me, since they don't follow the w3c css standards.

I will say though that there seems to be some errors in the page, like the fact that there is two sets of , , and tags, and some of the div classes are not defined (sorry if none of this makes sense).

My advise would be to go to google, and search for a basic html tutorial, and, once you have the hang of it, a css tutorial.

Sorry I couldn't be more help
Scutterman

I don't have as many browsers as Scutterman. I only have three, and I only find one of them to be useful. I only pull out IE at times like these.

This is a problem that comes up about once or twice a week. While the solution is always the same, some users have trouble living with it. Hopefully, you have a copy of the original template. If you don't you can always get another copy. When you get it, open up the HTML file in the File Managers Text editor and look at the very first line. You should see a tag. If you look at your existing web page the same way, you will see the tag is missing. IE needs this tag to be persuaded to display the page the same as everyone else.

The cause of the problem is the File Managers Visual editor. This editor will not allow a tag on a page. If the page contained this tag when the page is opened, it will no longer have this tag when the page is subsequently saved. One way around this is to keep a copy of the tag on the side. Like a text file on your desktop. Then, after editing your page with the Visual editor, open it up in the Text editor and copy/paste the tag into the first line of your web page. After saving your work, this will let everything center properly when viewed with IE.

Beyond that, the only other option is to stop using Bravenet's on-line editors. Download everything to your PC and use something like NVU or KOMPOZER to edit your pages. Both have built in upload (FTP) capabilities for publishing.

I also see that some of your pages were created in the Website Wizard. I can only assume that you are trying to replace them with a template. But a word or warning. Do not go back to the Wizard and use it's "publish website" utility. This will overwrite any of your pages that are named the same in the Wizard. One of the will be your home page, "index.html". Except for possibly copying some of the content in the Wizard, it's not a good idea to go back.

The extra , , and tags are normal, and are a product of the banners on free sites. The extra

classes that are not defined, are part of the original template. I don't like having undefined classes laying around, but they don't bother anything, so they are not really an issue.

Re: Re: HELP........My web page has gone to the left when the template was centred

The doctype is there, just in the wrong place (under the second body tag), but unless it is the very first line of code on the page, it won't work.

As with the extra , , and tags that you see, the tag that you see in the wrong place is also a function of the advertising banners. It's there to insure that the banners display correctly in all browsers, should the page designer not use one. It appears way too late in the code to do any good and is of the wrong type. The advertising banners insert the following tag:

But the web page requires this tag:

None of the advertising banner code is visible to Linda, unless she views the page code from a browser. Banner insertion is done when the page is requested by a visitor. Unless the page designer does something odd, the banners are always inserted right after the tag. So the fix is still, use the Text editor and put the correct tag at the beginning of the page.

Re: Re: HELP........My web page has gone to the left when the template was centred

Ah, sorry. I didn't know the banner code wasn't shown in the editor.