This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Linking my folder

I have managed to upload my document, but can't find it now I have done that, what happened in the first place is I used the ftp to upload, so that gave me 2 boxes side by side, one being the files on my pc and other one on the right was my web, according to that it went up, but can't find it at all, its doing my head in, can you help please.
Thanks
Tina

do you have a website address?
what is the name of the file you uploaded?

Yes I do have a website, will it be ok to give it over here and the file I uploaded was called Snooker-2008

Thanks
Tina

yes, please provide your website either in a post or in your "Website URL" info during the post in the top part. to get a better understanding of your problem, we must see your site page having the problems.

Hi
the website is called:

villagesnookertwo.bravehost.com

The folder that I transfered over to the web had about 6 sheets of the weekly updates.
Thanks for your help

What are the names of the files in that Snooker-2008 folder?

If you have a file named index.html or index.htm in that folder, we will be able to see it at this URL:

http://villagesnookertwo.bravehost.com/Snooker-2008/

and you will be able to link to it on your site using a simple link like this:

Snooker-2008

But on a free Bravenet site, there's no way for us to "peek" into the folder and see anything else.

Well, you could use a link directly to a file in the folder. I can't say how well that would work, without knowing the names of the files and being able to see them.

in the two windows of the ftp, you should see what folder the file will be transferred to online. if it is your main folder where all your other webpages are currently, then you should be able to see it like this...

http://villagesnookertwo.bravehost.com/ filename.doc[/b]

and you would link to it like any other webpage. someone clicking on the link will open word to view the document (or download the document depending on how their system is setup.)

oops, that should be...

http://villagesnookertwo.bravehost.com/filename.doc

Hi everyone.

I am so thankful for you help too, but I am not finding this easy.

When I had to the 2 boxes open in the ftp, the left being my folders on my pc and the right, being the web
I had to open the folder on the pc side to drag them over to the web side, but if I remember on the webside there were 2 folders one saying web, but it was a folder and I think the other was my web address folder, but will check again, so do you mean that should of been dragged into my webaddress folder and the web address should say:
villagesnookertwo.bravehost.com/snooker-2008
Sorry if I seem a bit dippy about this, but its not easy when you have never done anything like this.
The doc names in that folder say:
VILLAGE SNOOKER 18TH SHEET OF THE SEASON 2008-7-15-08
Hope you know what I mean.
If you look on my website you will see some tabs on the left hand side of it and on there it says print, I would like to put this into that link, so all the captains of the team can print there own copies, so I don't have to send them to them all.
Thank you all so much for your help
Tina

What pb&j was saying, I think, is that you don't need to place the document(s) in a subdirectory (or "folder") on your Bravenet site. You can just upload them to your root directory.

I was answering your original question, about how to link to a folder.

The first thing you need to do is figure out what you want to do: upload some MS Word documents to your root directory and link to them, or upload some MS Word documents to a subdirectory and link to them.

It would be much, much better if you kept the file names simple, like "schedule.doc" or "snooker2008.doc", on your hard drive. Then they would be much, much easier to find, and link to, on your site, if they make it up there.

say you have a word document named "snooker2008.doc" on your computer.

open the ftp.

on the window that shows the online area, double click or open the folder called "web". i am unsure what appears there on a free hosted site, but on my domain names, each one has a folder there. if it is the same for the free sites, that named folder should be your "main" folder where most of your webpages are located.

if you upload to that "named" folder, then you can add a link to your webpage to the file as described before.

if you create a new folder inside that named folder, say something like "schedules" and then upload the file to that, then your link from your webpage would need to include that folder too like this...

link text

(if you are using wizard for webpages, then i have no idea how that works for links).

Hi
I am using the website wizard and after updating the java to use on the ftp and I transfered the files across to the web window, and I can see them in the wesite manager, I have also shortened all the document names and still I can't see them on my web site, do you think it might be that I have the free website and not a domain name, I have thought about a domain one, but I don't fancy transferring all my details at this moment in time.
Thanks again
Tina

"Free hosting accounts are limited to the following file types:
.htm, .html, .gif, .jpg, .png, .txt, .swf, .mid, .rmi, .au, .wav, .js, .css, .ico, .bmp, .class, .dcr"

So it looks like as someone suggested, your best bet is to change the .doc to a .htm or .html and upload that. But the appearance may suffer.