This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Making Flash Banner Fixed Header

Hi all:

I created and added a jave flash banner. It loads quite nicely but there is a delay. I would like to know how to make it a static/fixed header, versus something that has to load.

I've seen it with other websites but the insertion code I have doesn't seem to accomplish this. Website is

Thanks in advance,
A.

Re: Making Flash Banner Fixed Header

If the delay is a problem, you could simply try to make it smaller? It is now about half the content on your page.

From your comment, I suspected that your .swf file was quite large, perhaps 300 KB or more, since I see many sites with huge flash files, but I see that it's only about 57 KB: not too bad. It shouldn't really cause a problem.

But have you viewed your page using Firefox? The layout is strange, because your logo (name.jog) appears at the top, and the flash banner is not displayed next to it, but rather is "one row down" -- offset from the top of the page by almost 130 pixels. I think this is due to some coding errors, such as a missing tag in that table. You have other errors, such as:

(unbalanced quotes on src attribute)

Typo: HPACE=5 on your object tag.

Trying to bring in a script file, niftycube.js, that does not exist.

Thank you Sherlock and Corwings:

I have made the appropriate changes and would be grateful if you would look again in Firefox to see if I have fixed it. I don't have it downloaded and can't check for myself.

I compressed the file to keep it small, knowing that it could be an issue. From what I see, it is still not 'fixed or static' however, but maybe I just have to live with that, though I still think there must be a code for that out there somewhere.

Thanks,
A

Took a quick look -- the page looks OK now, except of course, for the part that says 'Eiu iae eiouuu io eiiu e eo eee ue uaioeo eiea euooi iueui a eieuoo iau iaio ieeoaiui...'

I don't know what you mean by 'fixed or static' -- do you mean a .jpg instead of a .swf?

Wonderful ....... thanks so much!!
The gobbly goop text is to be added - hehehe.
Appreciate your help.

Would you know why the text seems to be auto set to BOLD ... this happened when I added the href#top to get to back up.

Very odd, and can't seem to change it.

Thanks again,
A
(ps: I've worked like a dog on that site!)

OK -- you really do need to download Firefox and check your site in both IE and FF. In Firefox, the text near the bottom ("The Chamber hereby expressly waives...") appears bold, and I think that's due to a missing /strong tag.

But in IE, the text near the top ("A chambers business IS business...") is in bold. I don't know why that would be. Somehow, in IE I cannot select that text. Often, that means there is an invisible layer on top of the page's content; I don't know what's happening on your page: it may have something to do with the scripts you're using.

Here's what I see (reduced somewhat) when I view your page in FF (just the bottom part):

Note that the navigation links near the bottom of the page do not show up here. They are there, as I can see by doing ctrl-a (select all), but the text of the links must be the same color as the background (white).

If you go to validator.w3.org and validate your HTML, you may get some clues. Unfortunately, there are a few hundred errors flagged because of the navigation script you're using; there is a way around that, or you can just scroll down to get to see the real errors.

Mainly, watch for mismatched strong and /strong tags, things like that.

You're quite amazing --- thank you!

I have gone to the validator and most of the script errors are the /a>' at the end of the drop down menu code and I don't know any way around that. The site is html build not with css because I don't know how to make those.

What I have created is all trial and error over the past while and learning as I go.

I'll go back and check for the /strong tags etc.

What I have seen as a way around the error is to break the tag up into two parts -- something like

... ' ...

but I may not have that exactly right. I think when you do the validation and get the error, they give you a link to a site that can help you eliminate bogus errors due to the way they parse javascript.

You should be able to use a good editor to do a global edit, if you construct the rule carefully, to correct all those errors. I like bkreplacem. Be careful, keep a backup before you try it.

Of course the "errors" from that validation (the ones caused by the /a tags in the script) are not critical problems, and some people would say to just ignore them. There are validation errors that can cause problems, and as long as you can overlook the /a errors you can still depend on the rest of the validation results.

I guess they say to add a back slash before the slash, and I think I ran into trouble with that one too. I like to split things up that can cause problems -- you will see a lot of sites doing that, if you read their code.

Hi Sherlock, thanks again.

I need one more serious issues resolved.

I have been asked to build this site in such a way that certain pages are accessible by the administor without having much knowledge of html ... so they can just interface with and/or add information as needed.

There are a few htm pages but they are for the scrollers, but I don't know how to make an htm page stand alone so to speak (my language is probably wrong!)

Would you, or anyone else tell me how to accomplish this ... it's really, really important.

Sorry, but I don't know what you mean by "they are for the scrollers", or "how to make an htm page stand alone".

I'm not even sure why you are saying "htm page". Are you asking about the difference between .html and .htm???

Instead of asking a question in a reply, as you have done just now, if would be better (you will be more likely to get good answers) if you select a forum and begin a new thread to ask your question. I'm not sure if your question concerns Web Design or HTML Coding, because I'm not sure what you want to do.

Sherlock:

I want to allow an administrator to add and make changes without having to muck around with the html .... a dangerous thing!!

I guess it's called 'background access' or something like that.

They input what they need to and it shows up on the page without having to go into my html pages.

Make sense?
A