This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
deleting extra banner and coding help

Hello all, I am new at doing all of this and I really need some help with my page. I have two banners and am told that I can delete one, but i dont know how. And I need to know if anyone can tell me why my site refreshes every 10 seconds...lol Thank you to whoever can help me with this.

Browser: stressedmomoftwo,4

Re: deleting extra banner and coding help

a link to your site please?

www.justcrazypeopl.bravehost.com

27. Why are there extra advertisements appearing on my free website?
With the free hosting, an advertisement is placed on each of your pages for each tag in the HTML code.

To fix this issue, you will need to remove the extra tags.

Just in case you're curious, if you remove all the tags, one will automatically be placed on your page.

ALSO probably down to the editor you are using to build your site with if you download your page it probably ads the extra tag in as well too

I know that it can be removed, my problem is I dont know how, can anyone tell me how I delete it. This is the very first webpage I have ever done, and I realy need help.

Re: Re: deleting extra banner and coding help

To delete, open the file in a text editor, highlight the piece that you want to delete then press the delete key. Save the file and upload.

You MUST remove all Bravenet advertising code as a banner is added every time you upload.

Keep the clean copy on your PC and when you wish to make future changes edit that and upload again.

In the future, if you want to get a copy of an HTML file (.htm or .html) that's on your site, use FTP to download the file to your harddrive. When you download a file via FTP, the server does not add any advertising code to it. When you use HTTP (like Save As in a web browser) the server will always add the code.

I tried to do that, but it would not transfer my files, i am very frustrated right now, because i cant even see where to delete the banner. Would it be better if i deleted it and tried to upload it again

Of course if you have good HTML files on your hard drive, and mutilated HTML files on your site, it would be good to clean everything out of your account and upload the good files from your hard drive.

If you are sure the files on your hard drive are everything you need, and are not clobbered.

But you will need to be careful not to mess them up again, and it's not clear what sort of editor you have been using once you get things up to your site.

Best to do your editing on your PC and use FTP to upload everything.

I am using acehtml freeware

I don't see how you would have ended up with Bravenet's code in the files on your hard drive.

The page is reloading because of your body tag that says to reload it every time it loads.

Im sorry, I guess I should not do a website, because I have no idea how to fix this and the info that I am getting just is not helping me. I know what is causing it and I know what needs to be fixed, but I have no clue how to fix it.

well guess you deleted your site

so just start all over again and save your page as index.html

but you had an extra body tag in there as some things you are doing created the extra tag in there with your site

so UNLESS you know html you won't know even what we are talking about as you apparently have NO CLUE perhaps do some learning of html

Thank you, that is what i am trying to do, everyone has to start somewhere right. Thank you for all of your help

Re: Re: deleting extra banner and coding help

Tracey, I think you really need to Google for some html tutorials. The basics only take a few hours to learn.

To clean up your pages from the state you describe you need to be able to identify the bits of code that you need to remove. The alternative is starting over.

Re: Re: Re: deleting extra banner and coding help

Peter, Thank you for your reply and not making me feel stupid. I am trying to get this straightened out, and I think i have finally figured out the problem. Again, thank you.

I'm using the free hosting site and am finding that bravenet automatically adds a new/extra head and body tag to my clean code when it drops in its banners. Has anyone experienced this before? Any idea how to stop it from happening.

FYI:
1) I thought for some reason it didn't like my Doc Type declaration so I changed mine to reflect Bravenet's preference (per the information in the knowledge base) re-uploaded all my files - no effect.

2) Deleted all of the existing FTP files and re-uploaded new clean files again - no effect.

3) Tried using Bravenet's text editor but it doesn't show the Bravenet's inserted code so I can't delete out the extra tags.

I created the site on notepad - didn't use Bravenet's wizard. The site otherwise works perfectly, except that with the extra inserted tags it's "untitled".

Hi John,

I have figured out how to fix the problem, send me an e-mail and I will let you know how at stressedmomoftwo@yahoo.com or brittnay@fuse.net

Tracey

"bravenet automatically adds a new/extra head and body tag to my clean code when it drops in its banners."

That is what it does. No way to change it.

I have the same problem, two banners on my site. Which tag does Bravenet place banners at?

Corey,

It's a poor idea to resurrect a post that started almost two years ago. With the way things change, much of the information may be out of date. Plus, as you probably noticed, the forum has cut out some key words that might have helped.

Bravenet keys on your "body" tag to know where to insert their top banner ads. They then use the terminating "body" tag to insert the links at the bottom. The banners and links are only in the page that a visitor can see. They do not insert the ads directly into your web site code.

So, if you have multiple "body" tags in your web page(s), it is possible for two banners to be added. You may not do it intentionally and possibly not recognize where the problem is.

Users that have "frames" based sites, will get a banner and links in each frame. This is because each frame is a complete HTML file. The file that sets up the "framesets" will also get a banner and links, if it's created correctly with a "noframes" section. If you eliminate the "noframes" section, you will likely get a blank page.

Users often like to insert styles and Javascript into their HTML pages. This will normally work just fine, except when the style or Javascript uses the word "body". A declaration for a common "body" style at the beginning of a HTML page, will cause multiple banners and usually mess up your layout.

Next time, if you have a problem, start a new post. And, include the URL to the web site your having problems with. I gave you general information, but someone could have possibly spotted the problem, if you had provided your URL.

Browser: Firefox, Netscape, Sea Monkey, Internet Explorer, .....