This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
HELP WITH HTML

Hello.

I dont use facility's like these, i prefer the usage of frontpage and dreamweaver.

How do i add java files, is it just the same as uploading to them to your own FTP page? I dont know anything in HTML coding, so how do i change the background colour, and can i add java scripting, from my other sites and put the coding into the ones here?

Please help me out, or email me (as it would be quicker at gianluca1@hotmail.co.uk

thanks

Browser: gianluca1@hotmail.co.uk,3

Re: HELP WITH HTML

Your references to "these" and "here" may mean that you thought you were on the Hosting forum?

If so, just go on using frontpage and dreamweaver. You aren't required to use anything from Bravenet except for uploading facilities or ftp info to make your pages at Bravehost. Just do whatever you do on your other sites.

So, you mean, just doing it normal as i would using frontpage and dreamweaver, then copy the main parent folder, that my site pages are in, to my FTP user area in my bravenet FTP place??????

So, i would do all the java stuff normally?

?????

Thanks, for your reply, .....please reply again....thanks

Yes, that's exactly what Corwings means. You are not required to use the on-line editors and design tools offered by Bravenet, to design your site. There are a lot of users using FrontPage and Dreamweaver. The only time there are problems is when, free site uses try to use Frames or absolute positioning. Paid hosting doesn't have those restrictions. Personally, I write all my pages using HTML-Kit, which is a text based design application. I upload using Filezilla, an Explorer window, and sometimes directly from HTML-Kit.

There is no difference between your FTP area and your web site. You can upload your web pages to your web site using almost any FTP tool you have. I also know that FrontPage and Dreamweaver have built in FTP capabilities. So, you can "publish" your web pages to a folder on your PC, and then upload them later. Or, you can configure Frontpage and Dreamweaver to upload directly to your web site.

Your FTP information is available in your Account Manager under the FTP tab.

This to you may seem simple,but once i have uploaded the pages to my bravenet ftp place, i would then have to spend ages hyperlinking them, right? or not?

If i transfer the main folder, witch has all the pages in, i just make a link from one of the pages that is not in the main folder (a page that was createad by bravenet) and link to mine that are in the folder with my sites in???

I seem to understand it a bit better, thanks, but still confused. So, in theory, i dont actually use bravenets design and text view to crete sites. I only edit and move my site files to my FTP place.....

hmmmm...

I'm having a little bit of difficulty understanding you, and I don't think you understanding us. It sounds like your making things more complicated than they really are.

Your web site and your FTP place are the same place. A web site is nothing more than file space on a remote server. When a visitor uses your URL to accessed your site, the server looks in your file space and sends them your web page(s). When you see your site through a FTP tool, or Bravenet's File Manager, you are seeing the same place.

Why would you have to spend ages hyperlinking your pages once you have uploaded everything? That doesn't make any sense. If you created all you pages on your PC and linked them together there, it's all done already. The only time you might have a problem is, if all your links referenced your PC's hard drive (C: or D . If you used relative links to connect all your pages and image together, the job is done.

Yes, if you created your web pages in a folder on your PC, you could upload the entire folder to the root folder of your web site. Then you could create a page in the root folder that links to the other folder. But that's a huge waste of time and energy. You just make your visitors go through extra steps to get to your pages. You can skip that extra page by just uploading the contents of your PC folder to the root folder of your web site. Then, as long as your home page is named "index.html", visitors only have to use your URL to access your site.

So what I am saying is, if you design your web site on your PC and upload it to your web site. You do not need to use the Visual/Text editors, the FTP Applet, or the Website Wizard. Those utilities are there for users that want/need to use them. Since FrontPage and Dreamweaver have everything you need built in, you don't need to use the on-line utilities. Read the FrontPage and Dreamweaver help pages on "publishing" or do a Google search on the string "FrontPage publishing". You will find lot of information on how to set up your design applications to access and upload to your web site.

Right...Finally i understand what you all were trying to say to me, but......(be patient)

Scenario...I have created a website offline, and have stored all of it on my desktop. All the files and pages needed are stored within the subfolders of the Main folder. There are no pages that have links to files outside the main folder.

So, once i have uploaded it up to the FTP server on bravenet.com, then what? Why do i have to change my main file to ...INDEX.htm, and not main menu? Is it because when users will type in the URL, the browser will automaticaly go to the file that is called INDEX.htm????

Thanks for your help

As for your last question: Yes. That is why. Though it should be index.html or index.htm, not INDEX.htm.

One important difference between your computer and a server is that on your computer, the difference between upper and lowercase letters do not matter. A link that says "Index.htm" will take you to "index.htm". On a website, that spelling mistake will be just as serious as "Zndex.htm" or "%ndex.htm"

Usual suggestion: to avoid confusion, use lowercase only, in filenames AND links. But whatever works for you....

Scenario: Sentence 2 and 3 seem to contradict each other. I'm not sure what you mean. But you can have most of the files (except index.html) in subfolder if you really find it easier to work that way.

So, then, all this site hosting and creating stuff is as simple as that.....

right, then i will get on my way, thanks for your help.

So thank you people for your replies. 2.5 years later, well i'm a joomla master, and looking back at my questions well they were very simple.

Check out my new virtual dynamic web.20 website at
http://www.crystal-carbon.com its an entertainment website

Browser: Google Chrome