This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
mouse-over text

I am making a genealogy website and I would like to make certain information available on a person simply by moving the mouse ove the name. Can anyone help me with that?

Re: mouse-over text

I have temporarily solved my problem by adding a small button beside the text I wanted the mouse-over html code for and added the code to the button. Not exactly what I want, but if someone has a better way of getting text to give me a pop-up window, please let me know. My site is yorkshirepennocks.bravenet.com .

No, the title attribute sounds like the right way. But you should alter your site so that lines of text can be read without scrolling left to right. Scrolling every line gets boring.

And I suppose if I actually had the Blackadder font installed on my computer I would be able to see all of your headline? Most people haven't.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Re: Re: mouse-over text

The amount of text displayed in the title attribute will vary between browsers. While it is by far the best option in theory I wouldn't use it to display more than half a dozen words in practice.

The alternative would be javascript but what you need couln't be found in any of the free libraries and a fair understanding of the language would be required.

I have never installed a font on my machine, and I can see the header just fine in Firefox, IE6, and Netscape. No need to scroll. Maybe it got installed for something else, and I just don't know it.

Anyway, there are a couple of ways to implement the MouseOver text. On my site, I use a Javascript menu that is mixed with MouseOver text on my Site Map page. I do it this way because my menu is common to all pages. This way, I only have to modify a single file, and all my pages see my changes.

But I think that you can do what you want with a little tricky CSS. Try this link to my Yorkshire Pennocks test page. This is a copy of your home page, modified for CSS MouseOver text popups. I commented out the little images and modified some of the names on your map to have MouseOver popups.

If you use your right mouse button on the test page, you can view the source code. There are a couple of pieces to making this work. First, at the top of the page you can see the two new styles. These styles manage the display of text in a , that is imbedded in your link text. Normally, the text in the is prevented from displaying. But on MouseOver, the text is enabled into a small window, that overlays the map. The

that is wrapped around each of your entries, then need to have an id="links" attribute added to them. On two of your links, I had to change the style name to remove the link underlines.

There are a couple of things to watch out for. You use a lot of Z-Indexing in your page. This can cause the popup text to be above the map image, but below some map text. You will probably have to adjust some of the Z-Index numbers to make everything work. If you look at the
structure for Kirbymisperton, you will see that I lowered the Z-Index (9 to 4) to prevent the Pickering overlay from being underneath the Kirbymisperton link. But note that other text on the map was not adjusted.

OOPS.. let me look at that text page a little more. It seems that it work fine in Firefox, but Internet Explorer has problems.

There, that's better. I fixed the Yorkshire Pennocks test page to work in Firefox and Internet Explorer. I usually work with Firefox, but sometimes forget to check my work with IE.

It seems that IE couldn't cascade the style properly unless everything was predefined. Try the link now.