This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Page Section jump

ok, I want to be able to click the title and jump down the page to that section.

I have gone through this help section it shows the anchor tag and link script.

I am doing this in web-wizard and save/publish etc.

all I see is this script for the anchor & link.

Do I have to hit the link button? Do I just put the page it's on?

or do this somewhere else?

thanks

Re: Page Section jump

I understand what you want to do. I use anchor tags a lot on my web pages. A good example might be my help pages, Website Wizard. They contain a list of questions at the top. You click on the question to skip down to the answer. At the top of each answer is a link to go back to the top.

You already have the codes that you need. First you need to insert the anchor links at to top of each section you want to skip to. The anchor looks like this:

Each anchor needs to have a different name or the browser will not be able to tell one from another. Then you create the links that let you navigate the page. For example, if you had a anchor like the one above, to transfer there, from anywhere on you page, you would need a link like this:

Click here...

The text in the above link is active and the visitor would have to click on the link to move to the next section. I haven't tried this kind of thing with the Website Wizard, but you might want to create your help pages separately, like my help pages. I used a piece of free software called the FAQ Genie, from Virdi Software. I do a little bit more with it than most people might, but all you need to to is fill in the questions and answers and the program does the rest. Then you can upload the web page and just link to it from the Wizard. They have some other very interesting software.

If you still don't understand anchors and links, let usl know and I will try to give a better example.

Do you normally do this in your file manager?

You already have the codes that you need. First you need to insert the anchor links at to top of each section you want to skip to. The anchor looks like this:

a name="anchor_text"

Each anchor needs to have a different name or the browser will not be able to tell one from another. Then you create the links that let you navigate the page. For example, if you had a anchor like the one above, to transfer there, from anywhere on you page, you would need a link like this:

a href="#anchor_text">Click here...
The text in the above link is active and the visitor would have to click on the link to move to the next section. I haven't tried this kind of thing with the Website Wizard, but you might want to create your help pages separately, like my help pages

How you implement this depends on which editor you using for your pages. If you are using the Website Wizard, you don't want to use the File Manager to insert the anchors and links. If you did, the next time you used the "publish website" option, you would overwrite your changes.

Inserting the links with the Website Wizard would be pretty easy, but creating the anchors would not. There is no easy button to do them, so you have to switch to the Code Editor and insert them manually. But, much the same thing would be true with the editors in the File Manager. Even if you were creating your pages off line, not all editors support inserting anchors. But a good free editor, that does a good job of supporting anchors, and makes linking very easy, is Nvu.com. You might want to use something like that to set up your information pages.

It is possible to use something like Nvu.com to create the code you need, and then do a copy paste into the Website Wizard content editor.