This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Permanent re-direct 301

Hi,

I am in the middle of kinda upgrading a technically untechnical site ....(but my customers love it - and I guess thats what counts)

I am unsure how this has happened but I have found htm and html pages in my directory with identical content....I want to preserve the PR etc....and redirect the 4 or 5 pages I have like this...

I cant find any 301 redirect iformation in the resources for Bravenet - all help really appreciated....

Thanks in advance

Re: Permanent re-direct 301

You sound like another "Big Daddy" victim.

I don't know the details of Bravenet's technical architecture so I don't know if uploading a .htaccess file is an option. You would need to raise a support ticket and ask Bravenet direct.

Thanks Peter - guess I will have to open a ticket...

Well - open a ticket I did....

Answer from support is below!

¨Dear Alan,

We don't provide any such material at Bravenet. The redirects can work on our services, but we don't provide the support for coding this yourself.

If you have duplicate pages with differing file names and are worried about this affecting your search ranking, you should consider deleting the duplicates, or at least taking them offline (download, then delete from server).

Unfortunately, we do not offer coding support.

I would suggest asking this question in the Members Helping Members area:
http://www.bravenet.com/help/index.php

Sorry for any inconvenience.¨

I must say in the past, support has always helped me with my query....this is the first time they have kinda - well - not helped

Any offers...

Just thought I would update - I again wrote to support, and the second time round they were very helpful....

Just though I would put the record straight

Hey Alan would you mind sharing the information that they give you? I need to do a 301 redirect as well.

My domain name has a pr3 www.speakenglish.biz and my index page has a pr5 http://speakenglish.biz/index.html

It looks like i need to direct all my links from the index page to the domain page. I'd sure appreciate any suggestions.